saw chain sharpening service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew78

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone do this or know of a good place to have it done?
I have no time to learn right now and need to have a few loops re sharpened every so often and my local shop absolutly destroys chain with their grinding techniques, or lack of.
Any thoughts?

D
r
e
w

Alright, alright, you talked me into it! Never wanting to leave anyone in need, I will help out. I`ll charge you only $9 each but you don`t need to send me the saw, thus saving on shipping. I`ll just knock a drive link out each time and your chains are sure to be tensioned.

Russ

$12 per loop, custom filed and deburred to the angles you like (sharper longer, faster, etc...) with a 10 tree cut sharpness warranty.Send me 10 or more, and I ill do them for $10 bucks!
-Matt

Any saw shop should be able to sharpen your chains for you, but you might get them back with blued teeth. I got tired of it and bought my own grinder. Local hardware store here does a decent job for $4 a chain, off the saw.

I am a purist, and I like my chains perfect, so I file to an extreme degree of accuracy. Thanks largely in part to my heavily modified filing jig. A grinder is quick, and easy but completely inaccurate imo, and once you learn to file you can do a loop in about 10 min. Juast my 2.5 cents-Matt

Drew,
Steve here...
If you have chisel chain I'll square grind two loops for $30 shipped
STeven

Oh...And I'll grind your round stuff for free, if you send it with some square chain

I (properly) grind loops for $5 to $7 when they are off of the saw. I don't ship things though.

The keys to not burning the teeth lies in not taking to big of a bite and using soft wheels (like the Silveys).

Drew, from these responses you can tell it would greatly behoove you to learn yourself. Smaller bars(14"-18") ain't diddley to sharpen - its the longer bars that require some more finese.

Put it in a vise, and go for it. Buy a grinder, maybe.

Dont run your chains until they are bone dull, and you can sharpen them in less than 5 min. Run them too long and hit things and the file time rises exponentially

Even with the cheap pink wheels that are pretty much the standard for the Oregon 511A type grinders you won`t burn the teeth if you just nick them with each pass. It may take several passes around the chain on a badly rocked specimen but the grinding can still be done quickly. you also want to dress the stone frequently to expose sharp crystals, dulled crystals will burn `em.

Drew, it really would behoove you to learn to file, but as you can see, buying a grinder can be quickly justified if you can`t file or you are maintaining a fleet of saws. It`s almost not worth grinding a 20" loop for $4 or $5 from a dealer standpoint, especially if it takes more than a few minutes. Dealers and saw techs don`t even make money never mind get rich by grinding chains. Treat those guys nice or you may not want your chains back.

You seem to have a taste for good tools, why not a Silvey 510 round grinder?

Russ

Hey Drew, Get a clamp on the bar file guide. $25.-$30. bucks (e-bay) and just set the degree angles. After 3-4 times you will be placing a good edge on your cutter. Your rakers don't need trimmed everytime ya file up the cutter. Take Huskymans advise and don't let them get so dull that they won't cut butter. Take your chains that hit dirt, rocks, noticable damage to the chain grinder boys. It will be worth your $5-$10. dollars to get them cleaned up. I'm far from the sharpening expert but practice makes perfect with the file. The Hoosier!!

Curly fries for everyone!!!!

What brand of clamp on file guide are you recommending?
I bought a $20 Oregon the other day and I don't like it, it is too hard to get set up and has too much plastic.
Since I found this site I have learned how to sharpen a chain by hand (using a file guide) but occasionally I need to make sure everything is set right so I wanted to get one of those that sets all the angles.
Dan

Last edited:
Hey Danl, I got an Italian made one on e-bay. I'm not sure what the exact brand is but it looks like a copy of all the other models. Yea it's plastic too but the degree angles are clearly listed. File guides are ok but keeping your hand steady and on the right angle is a trick. The clamp on does take a a couple of minutes to get attached and lined up. Mostly if your not familiar with them they can intimidate you because of they flip around and never look like they will do the job. Relax!!!! Clamp it to the bar, and place the file in the cutter and start to angle it to the shape of the cutter. You will soon find that it will get real close to your 10degree and 30 degree markers ( or the degrees listed on the back of your chain loop box) Make sure it's tight and make some gentle passes. Thats pretty much it. you can fiddle around between 25 and 30 degrees to find what you like. good luck. the Hoosier.

Curly fries for everyone!!!!!!

Hells bells Drew! These guys are trying to make a quick buck off you for sure!

Tell ya what, send your chains to me along with a Silvey grinder and I will do them free for a whole year. All chains shipped with a Playboy mag.:heart:

well ,,ill put edge on like u never imagined fer 8 a piece. only thing ,the true test is in the wood so,in order for me to get it rite,, u must send the whole saw ,like rocky said. ill keep it til i get it rite . ill let u know when that is. just think u will have somethin to look forward to for a while . depending on how good the saw is.:D :D and i aint kidding,now.. im wondering if somebody, somewhere,, aint workin this deal already...am i jest too blind to read the handwriting on the wall. oh well,, got me a seeing eye 120 lb pit bull . down now black jack..use too raisum and sent a many a dog up north.and some as far away away as the virgin islands, califonia, etc. any private emails by anybody, with an understanding of what im talkin. welcome. if u dont know what i mite be talkin about ,dont worry its a personal thing..

Sorry for the late response-

No power and such, ya know...

Any how lets get me started on sharpening.
What is the easiest way for me to start with hand files?

Give me some suggestions on what to look into buying so I can get started on this.

Thanks to all for the responses so far!

-Drew

Back