saw chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought Labonville for my wife and daughter - if that says anything to you. Of course, I use those as well - I classify myself and weekend warrior - and they don't cut as much or as often as i do. Labonville has a good demonstration video for how they protect you.

Buying chaps by brand name is not the way to go. It's like coming on here and asking what vehicle should I buy to haul firewood. Someone answers "buy a Dodge". Then I buy a Dodge Magnum. You might ask what kind of protection you need, like material, fabric, coverage, layers of felt/fabric. Is the price of the chaps important? HTTR recommends PGI chaps. Good choice, those are what I wear but I need that specification for wildland firefighting.

I will say after using Stihl and Husqvarna chaps (supplied by my employer) that both are very poor quality. But, they are cheap and better than nothing.

The catch is that we don't have much to work on when we try to compare chaps by features. One could have three thick layers and the other fifteen very thin layers and the three layer chaps offer more protection. Other features too, the sellers seldom give us apples to apples information so we can accurately compare from different makers. Labonville making a six layer and ten layer chap we can at least assume 66% more Kevlar and if we don't want to assume we can call and ask. No longer a direct comparison if we compare between the different manufacturers. How long the fibers are, the angles they are laid, where they are attached, all these things are important.

About all we have to go on is if a chap meets such and such a specification and the manufacturer's word. A little testing available and a track record in the field is very helpful, particularly the track record in the field. That is usually tied to a certain brand.

I do wish we could compare between brands better but the end user just doesn't have enough information available to accurately compare between brands.

Hu

I bought Labonville for my wife and daughter - if that says anything to you. Of course, I use those as well - I classify myself and weekend warrior - and they don't cut as much or as often as i do. Labonville has a good demonstration video for how they protect you.

Just ordered 2 pair of Labonville, 1 for me and 1 for my boy:cool:

Fortunately I live close enough to a Labonville store that I don't have to order them. Just drive a little over an hour and I am at their North Conway store. A little over 2 hrs and I am at their headquarters. Makes a nice saturday or sunday ride.

I never understood why everyone seems to use chaps instead of pants in the USA.

Latest security pants are very comfortable, strong, have pockets everywhere they need, and they are becoming lighter (I use a SIP innovation pants 2. This is the world's lightest model, which uses the same fiber than skidding cables).

I use the husky pants, very nice, real comfortable, decent pockets including a wedge pocket. Real easy to pull over boots, too with the zipper and snap bottoms.

can i have a link to sip chaps never heard of them

I started off with Stihl brand which offer decent protection but are much less durable and more snag-prone than the Labonvilles. I still have my Stihl chaps which I use in the Summer or around the yard when bucking but when I'm cutting a lot or felling I like my labonvilles as they are much tougher, retain shape better and are a lot more rugged. The price wasn't much different new between the Stihl dealer for the their chaps and Bailey's for the Labonville. If I ever manage to wear them out I will buy another pair and when my Son gets old enough to start cutting, that will be one of his first "presents".

Latest posts

Back