saw choice 362 or 381

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danz69

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
362 or 381 or 391 weight not an issue cutting up to 25inch pine cutting 5-6cord a year.

Last edited:
Well, I can't really say much about the 381 as it's not sold at my dealer, And I've never ran one, But the 362 is a Kick ass saw, And the 391 is pointless IMO. It's a clamshell with High cc's. It won't last you NEARLY as long as say the 381 or 362.

I think the 381 will pull a 25" a lot faster then the 362, Cause the 362 is better with a 20" but in pine it should pull a 25" just fine. I would also recommend drilling out the oil holes on the bar one size bigger as i've burnt up a couple 25" chains on a 362. But i drilled the oiler hole on the bar another size up, and haven't fried a chain since.
and I'm pretty sure that both of them STIHL's will last you a VERY long time.

Now. I'm not as huge of a chainsaw know-it-all as a few others around here, so you should probably take their advice over mine.

Good luck,
and Get 'er Done.

381 gets my vote as it is capable of a lot more than a 60cc saw.

I've put 8 hours on my 381 and am very happy with it. Cut up some big mac rings the other day (noodling) I think they call it on here and it did bog down a little but it's still new. I would say it would handle ringing a mac easily.

It is a little weighty but I like it like that, lets you know what you have in your hand and to be aware of whats going on.

I'm looking at getting a MS660 in the near future and am hoping the 381 will cover everything in between. If not then a MS460 might be joining the 381 and 660. Overkill yes but hey, a man needs his toys aye.

Cool video then the issue is old tec 72cc vs new tec 59cc.
Is the step up in price worth it there is only $100 diffrence between them here in New Zealand. With a 20inch bar in pine which one will perform better. Will one bog down more if I buried the bar.
Which one cuts faster.
Is the 381 a professional saw like the 362

Brain Frying over them both:confused::dizzy::angry::confused2:
Help

I'll take a 362 over a 391. May take a 381 over either of them if I needed a little extra grunt. Overall, I would look for a 441. 441 weighs near the same as a 381 with quite a bit more power. The 391 just doesnt balance as good as the 362. 362 has a few more bells and whistles too. Probably has the edge in power too.

Cool video then the issue is old tec 72cc vs new tec 59cc.
Is the step up in price worth it there is only $100 diffrence between them here in New Zealand. With a 20inch bar in pine which one will perform better. Will one bog down more if I buried the bar.
Which one cuts faster.
Is the 381 a professional saw like the 362

Brain Frying over them both:confused::dizzy::angry::confused2:
Help

Im not a saw guru by any means so I probably can't answer that but I know the 381 will not bog down in pine at all. Mine chews through pine and loves it.

The 381 is a revamp of the old 038 which was a pro saw but the 381 is not longer classed as so.

If I had the cash I would have gone for the ms460 but I don't regret getting the 381 at all.

i want the best bang for my buck but have never used a good saw before so do not know what a good saw fells like or should go like and it needs to last forever

i want the best bang for my buck but have never used a good saw before so do not know what a good saw fells like or should go like and it needs to last forever

The basic design of the MS381 is very old - a 441 probably is a better choise if you need more power than the 362, and it has to be a Stihl.....

but how do i know i need more power if i have never used a good saw to start with

but how do i know i need more power if i have never used a good saw to start with

You won't know until that day your current saw isn't big enough. Not trying to be bias but the 381 will run a 24" bar with no troubles at all, that's 58" coming from both sides. You won't know that the saw isn't big enough until that day you need bigger.

Bang for buck the 381 will let you do a lot from felling, limbing to cutting some decent sized rings. If budget isn't too much of an issue then as someone else has said, the 441 is a good choice. He'll even the 460 will still run a 20" bar if u want with the option if getting up to a 28.

End of the day you will buy a saw and get CAD and 1 won't be enough but make that first one a bloody good all rounder which both the 381 and 441/446 are.

will a 362 cut the same as in that video

Mate I have never run a 362 but it is a little lower on power than the 381 however lighter which you might notice at the end of the day. Stihl.co.nz says it will run a 20" bar which is what the 381 came with as well.

Not sure if the 362 will be faster in the cut or not but it is still a commercial saw and I would doubt it would sneeze at pine.

For starters: Wood, user, powerhead condition, sprockets, chain model and sharpness.

Assuming both power heads are right out of the box with sharp chain and in the same wood operated by the same person.

Will the 362 be faster in the cut than the 381? I know the 381 only revs to around 11000rpm but know nothing about the 362.

Also will the fact that the 362 is only slightly lower on power than the 381, will the difference be noticeable?

i have less then two weeks to make up my mind the saw will be for my :bday: present and the sale runs out at the end of the month. I first wanted a 381 more power and cheaper price about 6 months ago but held off getting it and made do with what i had.
But now the wife has said that she will go up to 362 price
so im grinding my nut trying to work out which one I want :bang:

362 should be easier on fuel, probably giving you more production per tank. Better air filtration, and less vibs. Unless you get into 25" bar usage I would opt for the lighter, more nimble 362. Latest technology as well.

Last edited:
Back