Saw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.kleijn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

On the edge of the old year I want your advise on which saw to buy for milling.

I have a GB mk III mill which I wanted to use with my upgraded Makita 7901. The saw has major problems right know, so I am considering buying a brand new saw.

The choice is between Sthill 660 or 880 / Husky 395XP or 3120

The saw wil also be used for felling and bucking

Thanks for your help and best wishes for 2015

Ditto for the 660. Mine gets used when I drag larger pieces out of the bush for carving. At the end of the day, trying to limb the last with it is hell. I sleep awesome those nights.

If your going to use it for felling or bucking that narrows it down to a 660 or 395. I have a 660 and to be honest with you I would even have another 70cc saw for felling and bucking under 48" hardwoods, definitely soft woods but for how infrequently I do those size of trees it works fine. For some reason a 660 seems to be the saw of choice for a lot of milling, rarely see a 395 mentioned. But I can't see where it would hurt. I might of tried a husky but no dealer support here and that is important.

did not see it yet, but I guess that I could get it
I've not had my hands on a 661; Yet.

I really like my 660.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420042330.505018.jpg
There are a few things I'd change on it if I could, and from the sound of it, that's exactly what Stihl did with the 661.

395 has a better oiler and a little more power. For milling that is my pick.

395 has a better oiler and a little more power. For milling that is my pick.
I wonder stock vs. stock, how a 395 and a 661 compare.
Everything.
lbs
Hp
Oiler
Comfort

The whole everything

What size timber?
What are the goals you intend to have for the flitches/slabs you mill?
What's wrong with the Makita?(logs will be there waiting)

Scott (save some cash) B

I agree with Scott - we need to see the answers to his questions before we really can make a recommendation

The additional oiling capabilities of the Huskys (especially the 3120) wastes oil because most of the extra oil comes off at the bar nose and doesn't really make it around to the cutting side of the bar.
For milling, the way to get extra oil on the job is to use an aux oiler.

FWIW unless you intend using it regularly and can then build up the required core muscles I also agree that a 3120 or 880is just hard work as felling/bucking saws. I have a 660 but my preferred bucking saw is my 441 with the 25" bar a lopro chain

I wonder stock vs. stock, how a 395 and a 661 compare.
Everything.
lbs 661
Hp not sure
Oiler I still think a 395 would oil better
Comfort Both are smooth

The whole everything

I'm not sure the autotune/mtronic stuff is the best for milling. They won't tune a bit richer to get extra fuel for cooling some.

I'm not sure the autotune/mtronic stuff is the best for milling. They won't tune a bit richer to get extra fuel for cooling some.
Very Good Point.

I'm interested to see the longevity of this platform.

I believe they are very nice when new, but I want to see how they hold up for say 3-5 years, what it cost to rebuild one vs. a conventional saw, etc.

It does seem everyone that has one or has put time on one seems to really like them...

Very Good Point.

I'm interested to see the longevity of this platform.

I believe they are very nice when new, but I want to see how they hold up for say 3-5 years, what it cost to rebuild one vs. a conventional saw, etc.

It does seem everyone that has one or has put time on one seems to really like them...
The carb for some is the same cost as the regular carb units so that part may be even if it does go bad.

I use a 660 for milling and bucking. It's a little small for milling and a little big for bucking

"I use a 660 for milling and bucking. It's a little small for milling and a little big for bucking"

I agree with this. I would really like a +100cc saw for milling. I use the 044 with 25"b/c for felling/bucking

New guy here, but thought I'd put my two cents (sense is probably worth less) in. I was using my 576 for my mill with a 36" bar which was probably not the best until I could afford to go bigger (at the suggestion of the saw shop). Their take was that I could keep using my 576 until I killed it and then buy another, which they would happily sell, or buy a big one and probably keep both a long while and eventually be $ ahead. The saw shop is a little family owned shop, father and son, that has been in the business since the days of one log truckloads. I trust them more than I'd trust my doctor. They sell both Husky and Stihl and I've never heard them say anthing bad about either saw when I've gone to get a saw. Until I went to get the 3120. They said that the 3120 had a bad muffler part that always came loose and was a problem. They were always working on them and the crews that regularly used them brought them in once a month to get repaired. The state of Oregon quit buying them and went to the 880. Also, the mechanics in the shop didn't seem to like them. They were going to let me buy the Husky, didn't say it was a bad saw or anything, just told me the facts. So, I got the 880. It's a beast of a saw for sure and damn sure spendy, but for what I've done with it, I feel like I did fine-no regrets. I still love my Husky saws though and will probably stay loyal. My brother-in-law whom I work with is a loyal Stihl fan, so that purchase only fueled the fire, but, I feel like I made a good choice. I would probably not use it as a regular falling or bucking saw though. Unless you are an offensive lineman.

I agree with Scott - we need to see the answers to his questions before we really can make a recommendation

The additional oiling capabilities of the Huskys (especially the 3120) wastes oil because most of the extra oil comes off at the bar nose and doesn't really make it around to the cutting side of the bar.
For milling, the way to get extra oil on the job is to use an aux oiler.

FWIW unless you intend using it regularly and can then build up the required core muscles I also agree that a 3120 or 880is just hard work as felling/bucking saws. I have a 660 but my preferred bucking saw is my 441 with the 25" bar a lopro chain

Where did you find a lopro drive sprocket/rim for a 441?

No H-jet adjustment on carb, outboard, clutch....not my choice for a milling workhorse. Husky make some nice saws don't get me wrong but in the 120+cc catagory, there are better options lMO.

I use a 660 for milling and bucking. It's a little small for milling and a little big for bucking
I bought mine for use on a mill as well and now i've seen a friends on a mill, I've found the same thing. Honestly, if you end up with an 880 on a mill and a 441 for felling, just buy the 441 or 362, and there's not a huge difference in price between a 880/ mill and a bandsaw mill. I see why they like the 660 on mills, it's docile, easy to start, runs cool and the air filter stays pretty clean.

Latest posts

Back