saw cleaning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is surprising how much you can get off with an air compressor. A scrench, screwdriver or pick can be used to get at the stubborn stuff, then most will wipe off with a towel. That stuff still looks to have a good mix of bar/chain oil in it, so it should come off pretty easily.

As mentioned above compressed air, scrape the stuff that's stuck and I use the Stihl digresser. It's surprising how little digresser is needed. I was in the shop buying some chain and saw this with the bar oil. thought I'd give it a try. I'd buy another bottle I'm sure there are cheaper options... think it like $12 a bottle but it cut thru the bar oil and pitch.

1700599986248.png

A clean tool is a happy tool. Plus, cleaning lets you inspect for wear, cracks, missing parts, etc.

In addition to sharp scraping tools, I have a small bin of tools I use to clean lots of things:
pointed wooden skewers, toothpicks, ‘’Q’ tips, old toothbrushes, plastic putty knives, sharpened popsicle sticks, old dental type tools, ScotchBrite cleaning pads, even recovered nylon bristles left by those rotary snow brooms they use on city sidewalks (in Minnesota anyways). These get into small crevices without scraping off paint.

I never tried the STIHL stuff, but have a variety of cleaners / degreasers (some work better than others in different stuff): 409 or Fantastik, Simple Green, ZEP Orange/Citrus based degreaser, SuperClean, LA’s Totally Awesome, etc.

Just remember that some things need to be re-lubed after degreasing: chains, clutch/sprocket bearings, some chain brake linkages, etc.

Went back to Spraynine myself.

If it needs scrapped it gets pressure washed or goes in a hot sink for a bath like greasy dishes do. My tools never get that bad and I'm pretty much done cleaning others messes for them. Bought a very large USC a few years back. For 80-100 I will make it all minty like new. Beyond that you're on your own with greasy chainsaws and OPE.

The Stihl cleaner appears to be worth trying. Might grab a bottle nearby to try it out.

Avoid anything caustic!

Plastic implements or wood like P said is best. I use a simple short bristle nylon brush and air pressure most times on the milling saws.

Avoid anything caustic!

I use ‘SuperClean’ which contains lye (sodium hydroxide), which cleans grease very quickly. And ‘LA’s Totally Awesome’ (ph 11-12!). But I rinse thoroughly, and don’t leave aluminum parts in contact with it for more than a few seconds.

Philbert

I'll cocur with @Philbert on the totally awesome for cleaning. Either full strength or diluted. I use it on lots of my farm equipment too. Best part is cheap at the dollar store.
Our dollar store doesn't sell it anymore.
Ordered a five gallon pail of Spraynine last time for 60 shipped to my door. Best I could do that month.

Our dollar store doesn't sell it anymore.
Ordered a five gallon pail of Spraynine last time for 60 shipped to my door. Best I could do that month.
Home Depot took the market for LA's Totally Awesome from the dollar store. it's great stuff but it'll kill your lungs if you spray in a mist.

Very good results using Kärcher industrial vacum cleaner, narrow flat nozzle and toothbrush. The rest with grease remover of some kind.

Latest posts

Back