Saw Dust? What to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying to figure out some ideas of what to do with the MASSIVE amount of sawdust I now have that I am processing firewood on a regular basis. What is everyone doing with it? Any way to make a profit of a possible waste product?

Compost it, sell it by the yard.

Compost it with equal parts green, grass clippings, etc. and sell it by the bag.

I take it the processor works good and your making a go of it :rock: .
Try to sell some dry stuff to trappers ? Expand , dry it , get some softwood sawdust and get a pellet mill , try the horse market and see if it will fly but if you check with Heffler's lumber you'll see what they're selling it for .
Or , plow it under and just be rid of another headache LOL .

The processor is working great after fixing a few maintance issues from the previous owners...go figure... Wish I could be selling more then I am right now but even doing a 5 cord order yesterday I have probably 4 55 gallon drum fulls of chips... It uses a 404 harvester chain so it likes to makes chips...

I will have to look into the fire starter thing, seems labour intensive....

Pellets I debated this but from what i read unless the chips are the right moisture it becomes a headache. Any suggestions for a cheap pellet machine?

I poked around a bit on pellets and there has been a good bit of info here on this site on pellet and firebrick making .
I've not found away to make sawdust into a heat source as cheap as you can turn a tree into firewood even though it would be nice not to waste a thing .
I might have missed an article or website somewhere so if someone has some good info , don't hold out on us LOL .
Every now and then I see some local ads on Kijiji for some guys that are selling pellets that they are producing , might be easier to track one of them guys down and see if it's a product they can use but I think the chip size might be too big and have to be run through a hammermill .
Bag it in feed bags or onion bags and sell it for mulch or see if it'll burn in OWB mixed in with their regular wood .
I hope your not in that ''War of words'' ads on Kijiji from firewood sellers fighting about who's wood is better , dryer, bigger loads etc ....But it does make for funny reading .

I poked around a bit on pellets and there has been a good bit of info here on this site on pellet and firebrick making .
I've not found away to make sawdust into a heat source as cheap as you can turn a tree into firewood even though it would be nice not to waste a thing .
I might have missed an article or website somewhere so if someone has some good info , don't hold out on us LOL .
Every now and then I see some local ads on Kijiji for some guys that are selling pellets that they are producing , might be easier to track one of them guys down and see if it's a product they can use but I think the chip size might be too big and have to be run through a hammermill .
Bag it in feed bags or onion bags and sell it for mulch or see if it'll burn in OWB mixed in with their regular wood .
I hope your not in that ''War of words'' ads on Kijiji from firewood sellers fighting about who's wood is better , dryer, bigger loads etc ....But it does make for funny reading .

Frank's Best Buy Firewood

This guy? Yeah deff not me.. but surely entertaining and the stuff he goes on about is a little much....

Yeah , he's one of them LOL .
Have you put up some pics of your setup yet ?

Nope not yet.. Father in law isn't a fan of having people up around his yard nor stuff being shown of what he owns up there.. (harvester, porter, tractors and such).... Shoot me your email in a PM and i'll send ya off a pic of the setup...Working great now that we are sorting wood by size as it comes off of the tractor trailer to make it quicker splitting and more even.

]
Frank's Best Buy Firewood

This guy? Yeah deff not me.. but surely entertaining and the stuff he goes on about is a little much....

That's his condensed site , here's his longer version .

Frank Rhyno's Valley Firewood

And he has a special this month on his ''Tri-Mix'' loads of wood .

attachment.php

When I was a lad, EVERY baseball field had a small mountain of sawdust covered on the side, in order to spread on the field's lowspots in the event of puddling rain. You mean to tell me they don't do that anymore ?

Back