Saw fell off the wagon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It was riding on top of the wood pile in my ATV cart (like always) and fell off! I'm sure you already can figure that the bar got tweaked. Brought it in, straightened the bar as good as I could. Cuts okay now, but I don't think it will cut straight when the saw is in b@lls deep anymore! It'll probably be a beater bar now.

Now the questions. How tweaked of a bar will you guys use? How are the Carlton bars with the replaceable tip? How smoothly does ordering from Baileys go?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

The only question that I can answer is the Bailey's one.

Ordering from Bailey's is super smooth, even for guys like me who are ordering from Canada. No complaints from me whatsoever.

:cheers:

I orderen from them a while back. Went well. Fast shipping too considering the distance.

I can vouch for Baileys, I ordered online and got my stuff in a few days.

If it was your 361 saw, I think I would put a Stihl Rollomatic back on it.

How the hank did the bar get tweaked? you run it over? I've had mine fall off one of my ridiculous sky high truckloads in the yard and never phased it. :confused:

I had my old Poulan 330 Pro get pinched in a huge tree one time. I had to cut it out to get it back. It pinched the bar right down on the chain . I took it home, jerked it out, and opened it up with a screwdriver and used it until the day that the saw broke a piston ring.

The next day I went to town and bought my Stihl MS440. I rushed home to show my wife my new toy. I went up the steps on my front porch ans sat the saw on the ledge to go in and get her. When we came out the saw was gone. I looked over the ledge, and looked 8 feet down to see that the saw dropped straight down on the bar. That 25" bar went about 10" into the ground. I thought I was going to be sick. I pulled it out, sprayed it off with some water, shot a little WD-40 on it, and fired it up. No damage at all. That saw was expensive but well worth the money.

The next day I went to town and bought my Stihl MS440. I rushed home to show my wife my new toy

Well, Im glad that CAD hasnt affected you too bad. One of the major symptoms of CAD is aquiring the knack of HIDING those new toys from the wife.
After the first argument of "what do you need 6 chainsaws for, you can only use one at a time" I learned quick.
I dont even have my new saws under my profile.The wife occasionally haunts the boards here.
Hope she doesnt spot this post!!

My problem is NAS (Nikon acquisition syndrome) I have to hide cameras, and lenses. After I have had them for a while I will "decide to clean out the cabinet" and amazingly find an old lens that I forgot I had.

IMO, people throw away bars too soon or don't get full use out of them. With a little maintenance, a bar will last a very, very long time. I scored a bent 20" Stihl es bar from work and took it home and threw it in the vise and started yanking and pounding. It is straight now and I can't even remember which one it was. If you do attempt to straighten it, remember that steel has memory, so you may need to re-bend again.

Those Carlton bars are good for the money, but I like stihl bars the best. Baileys is a great company. While some think that they just please everyone one here as to not get a bad rep; I believe Baileys offers their excellent customer service to everyone.

Last edited:
That wasn't the MS 361? OMG, I thought they were bomb-proof! #1. If that bar cuts straight, I'd use it 'till the cows came home. #2 If it doesn't, get it on the bench & tweak it back where it needs to be so it will cut straight, then see tip #1.

Yeah. It was the 361. I took the bar to work and used the rail on our lathe as a straight edge. Didn't get the bar perfect, but largest air gap I can see under the bar when I lay it down is less than 1/32". Still haven't had the chance to cut anything bigger than about 12" since I straightened it. I hope it cuts good in big wood too.

If it was your 361 saw, I think I would put a Stihl Rollomatic back on it.
What is the difference between the Rolomatic and the Carlton? I don't really see anything special about the Rolomatic except the tip is replaceable.

IMO, people throw away bars too soon or don't get full use out of them. With a little maintenance, a bar will last a very, very long time. I scored a bent 20" Stihl es bar from work and took it home and threw it in the vise and started yanking and pounding. It is straight now and I can't even remember which one it was. If you do attempt to straighten it, remember that steel has memory, so you may need to re-bend again.

Those Carlton bars are good for the money, but I like stihl bars the best. Baileys is a great company. While some think that they just please everyone one here as to not get a bad rep; I believe Baileys offers their excellent customer service to everyone.

I've been dealing with Bailey's for many years before I found this site (or even had a computer, since back in the 1980's) and have always found them helpful and consistent in excellent service

Dropped my MS-170 odd the tailgate of the truck, busted trigger.....won't do that again.....got a new handle....great service from Fish BTW!

Back