saw for newbie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No not me!:) Friend of my wifes ,just went out and bought a new 30 ton splitter and now are asking me to help them with the classic "which saw for me".
The real problem as I see it is the hubby will probably give up using it and leave the cutting to her.I had been leaning toward an 026 pro for them but was also wondering about Makita or even Echo.What about a 346?Probably need to pull a 16-20'' bar.
Right now I've been dropping a few trees for them and bucking them up.But now they want to learn to do it themselves.Not wanting to scare them off but really can't stress how dangerous this can be.Don't want to see either one get hurt. Any thoughts?
Russ

Stihl MS361 or husky 455 rancher should do the job for them stress to the guy that he should not try and do any felling until he gets to know how to use his saw first and get used to cutting techniques on the logs for a reasonable amount of time assess his ability then consider teaching him the felling part.

No not me!:) Friend of my wifes ,just went out and bought a new 30 ton splitter and now are asking me to help them with the classic "which saw for me".
The real problem as I see it is the hubby will probably give up using it and leave the cutting to her.I had been leaning toward an 026 pro for them but was also wondering about Makita or even Echo.What about a 346?Probably need to pull a 16-20'' bar.
Right now I've been dropping a few trees for them and bucking them up.But now they want to learn to do it themselves.Not wanting to scare them off but really can't stress how dangerous this can be.Don't want to see either one get hurt. Any thoughts?
Russ

Take both of them to a real saw shop that carries and services the major brands. Show the the class and cc of a saw that will fit their needs. Let them decide. All you need to do is point them in a good direction of a good firewood saw and get out of the way.

If they want to go to a big box store, tell them they are on their own.

:cheers:

You might want to go with them the first few times and show them how it's done then let them try it while you keep an eye on how they're doing. No matter what kind of saw you have it still can be a dangerous thing, especially if you're new to it.

Take both of them to a real saw shop that carries and services the major brands. Show the the class and cc of a saw that will fit their needs. Let them decide. All you need to do is point them in a good direction of a good firewood saw and get out of the way.

If they want to go to a big box store, tell them they are on their own.

:cheers:

I agree, the last thing you want is for them to get md later becaused you "forced" them into a certian saw. I think encouraging them to get 2 saws would serve them well. A larger saw around 40-50cc and a 20cc or so, Im not suggesting that very CC but just an Idea.
Like I have a 2063 jonsered and then the 009 for the smaller stuff

Russ

wow bought the splitter before the saw? that's like putting the carriage before the horse! don't forget to let them see dolmars i'm thinking a 510 would fit the bill:)

Like some of the other guys said point them in the direction of a few good saws and let them decide. Last thing you want is to be blamed for getting them a "bad saw".

Did I read this right...she would probably end up doing the cutting? Is he in poor health?

Like some of the other guys said point them in the direction of a few good saws and let them decide. Last thing you want is to be blamed for getting them a "bad saw".

Good point.I too had thought about a 2 saw plan.Don't know if they'll see the logic in it.I always take at least 2 with me,have had to go back and get another when I've pinched in before if I didn't .
Dont know what splitter they got yet,They were looking at my Swisher and asking questions before.Maybe.Mines been real good,no problem in about 8 years now,just change oil every season.
Thanks for the replies !
Russ

Last edited:
Did I read this right...she would probably end up doing the cutting? Is he in poor health?

No he'll probably just start and kind of wander away!Beats me thats just how he seems to do things.Leaves it for her to deal with,her thoughts,not mine.

Can't wait to see the splitter,just found out they went the Harbor frieght route!:censored:

Well you might as well tell them to get a wild thing so the saw will last as long as the splitter!:dizzy:

I would love to see my wife run a saw, I think it would be sexier than socks on a rooster!

I would love to see my wife run a saw, I think it would be sexier than socks on a rooster!

Around here it would last about as long as it did when I tried to teach her how to shoot a rifle. She's too bull headed to admit she doesn't know something.......... that was the pills talking!!!!!!

Another school of thought here is it sounds like if they get a saw there is a good chance you would have the opportunity to run it so point them to what you really want.

Back