Saw lifespan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlKiwi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Was doing some research at work today as we're looking at doing a production study on some silvicultural operations. Most of the figures used for productivity etc comes from the NZ Forest Service, which did the work in the 80's and based in on a huge amount of work studies they did. As I was flicking through a folder of costing data I found a page of thinning equipment costings and they gave the lifespan of a saw used for waste thinning as 0.76 years. Saws <69cc were considered suitable for thinning - they listed 041AV, P55, Mac 610 & 650, Husky 162 and Dolmar 122. Guess that explains why those saws are hard to find used here now, they must of had a hard life

Alot of guys in the logging industry will wear out a PRO grade Stihl or Husqvarna in a years time. I made a 460 last me three years when I was full time logging, but it was pitiful when I retired it.

Alot of them arent completely worn out in a year, but they get swapped out for a new one and are then used as a back-up.

Yea a lot of guys here will swap out falling saws (usually 660/395) every year or 18 months. Chuck them up on Trademe with a new plug and say they've only been used for firewood - theres a sucker in every crowd it seems

9 months is not long, so it would be how used and/or abused the saw was. I have a partner 7000 that I bought in 1983 that still runs. However I'm sure that's the exception not the norm.

Crews that do easement and utility contracts burn through saws pretty quick. Everything is cut down and cut up to firewood length. 6months to year depending on the work load for a lot of those saws.

Interestingly enough the most popular choices were 290=390/361 and 365/372s, the 290-390s would get a new P/C and the 365/372 would get cranks and maybe a P/C. The 361s it was a crap shoot.

and no the 311/391 and 362s are not well regarded, nor is the 365/372XT.

9 months is not long, so it would be how used and/or abused the saw was. I have a partner 7000 that I bought in 1983 that still runs. However I'm sure that's the exception not the norm.

These saws were most likely left out in the bush at night during the week. I suspect that shortens the lifespan a little as maintenance would be minimal, probably no more than sharpening and tensioning chains

Guess it depends on what a person defines as 'lifespan'. Is that the time until a rebuild is required? Or, till the entire powerhead is no longer functional?

If it is the latter, most people on here will die before there saw needs retiring.

Wouldn't be amazed. The way I see some saws from some people the word abuse is putting it nicely!

One of the few places that I can see a saw honestly being shot in a year, would be those cutting palm trees. The case will be eaten all the way through in about a year, by the acid. It's an amazing thing to see!

I have owned a right of way company for 4 yrs now. I buy 261,362 and 440 for my crew. Last year I bought 2 ms 250's. I haven't had to put them in the shop or had to replace them. My 261's are the oldest saws I have. At the end of the day I give them an hour to do maintenance and get the saws ready for the next day. My guys know not to abuse my saws:angry:. We run these saws 8 to 13 hrs a day and have had no major failure with any of them. I even have a ms270 that has been on the crew for 2 yrs now. Do your maintenance and you will be surprised at how long a saw will last.

I'm with you on keeping up with the maintenance, I like it keep my stuff operating and looking new as well. But if I may question the financial advantage? I don't know your business, but a quick assumption would be a crew of three guys that are smart enough to work for at least $10/hr. $600 month in saw maintenance can buy some nice saws. Does it really cost you that much? Are they maintaining other high dollar equipment in those 60 man hours?

Having run crews before, you have to by tools to make money but I also dont want guys at the tool or saw shop everyday either. So maintenace=responsibility.
I realize things happen but if the company purchases a X amount dollar tool and it comes back in a body bag X minutes or day(s) later, sorry boss my bad, that might not be the best reason/excuse.

re

I mow some on the side .And have had a few kohlers ,kaw engines ,and they list them lasting about 2000 hrs .
At 8 hrs a day, and I figure most loging saw see less then that . Say 40 hrs week x 52 =2080 hrs .

AS most know a typical saw will most likly run a bit hotter ,, So a year or two sounds about right .

For the do it your selfers and the ease of rebuild why not . rt

One of the few places that I can see a saw honestly being shot in a year, would be those cutting palm trees. The case will be eaten all the way through in about a year, by the acid. It's an amazing thing to see!

Thus??? I give thee...
The Farm Boss...

Problem solved...
:msp_sneaky:

I mow some on the side .And have had a few kohlers ,kaw engines ,and they list them lasting about 2000 hrs .
At 8 hrs a day, and I figure most loging saw see less then that . Say 40 hrs week x 52 =2080 hrs .

AS most know a typical saw will most likly run a bit hotter ,, So a year or two sounds about right .

For the do it your selfers and the ease of rebuild why not . rt

I was told the typical saw motor was designed around a ~2000 hour expected service life...

Thank youVERY much, StihlKiwi, This thread has been a really great eye opener for me! I thought pro chainsaws had a MUCH longer life expectancy.

Latest posts

Back