saw modding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailman003

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this form and have alot of questions about modding saws. got a 66,50,55,371 husky saws. first are these good modding saws? Second, i need to know about porting these saws!

Those saws are fine for modding,
as for how to port them there are books written on this stuff, I could type my fingers down to bloody nubs trying to explain it all. Some of the past threads should get you a good start or at least to the point where you have some more specific questions.

good luck

Here is a link to some good reading. The start is more on 4 stroke but a lot of the pressure wave dynamics apply to 2 stroke.. There is a bit near the end about the usefullnes of intuition as a porting guide. Good reading for more than basic level too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

Porting by inexperienced individuals without a full understanding of the fluid dynamics of the process still continues but the results are spotty and the process is expensive and time consuming with many more failures than successes.

This must be the place Frankie learn his cheapness!.......Hahahahahahahaha!

Porting by inexperienced individuals without a full understanding of the fluid dynamics of the process still continues but the results are spotty and the process is expensive and time consuming with many more failures than successes.

Also known as economics! Yah, I rather like to see some bang for my buck! Like in the old saying, "The fool and his money are soon parted"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fluid dynamics? Like how many Jack Daniels you consume before picking up your die-grinder Dennis?:)

thamks!

Thanks everybody for your answers! I been running in saw races in tennessee and been running logging saws trying to compete with limited results. I am going to try to build saws to run with these boys around here. Thanks again,:clap: :clap: :clap: and going to need more info later on!

Fluid dynamics? Like how many Jack Daniels you consume before picking up your die-grinder Dennis?:)

Fluid dynamics can work both ways Simonizer. Like how much you squirt out the day after consuming those Jacks! :cheers:

Frankie.....There's no chainsaws or money where you're going.....Hahahahahahaha!:chainsawguy:

Fluid dynamics can work both ways Simonizer. Like how much you squirt out the day after consuming those Jacks! :cheers:

Frankie.....There's no chainsaws or money where you're going.....Hahahahahahaha!:chainsawguy:

Dennis, I am sure you are right, but it sounds like you are getting a bit of a fixation on the hereafter.

Mailman003; Bucks advice is good ("as for how to port them, there are books written on this stuff")
It is not the only possible way to learn, but if you have the ability to absorb some theory that way it certainly cuts down on the number of mistakes you have to make by a strictly trial and error method.

My point was asking how to port is like how do I build a house.
you need a foundation to start on.

I am sure he can google up a little info.

Frank that link was interesting. I am very ignorant about 4 stroke porting. I think that was a decent primer.

Frank do you remember where Brian posted the formula to find the intake length? I think I want to play with velocity stacks and thumb carbs, I've got some rolling in soon.

Dennis and Frank you guys are like the movie grumpy old men. It sure is good to see you squabbling like the old days.:cheers: I have learned quite a bit from some of the heated discussions in the past. Its like reading a text book with a couple of senses of humor thrown in and a little friction.:sword:

Probably on one of the other forums, I dont see it on AS. The intake tuning effect is not big like exhaust tuning but it can throw you if it starts to come on or off just as you are carefully making gradual changes to something else like transfer timing or maximum exhaust opening. You may be looking for diminishing returns to tell you when to stop and some other factor throws you a contradicting signal.

Frank do you remember where Brian posted the formula to find the intake length? I think I want to play with velocity stacks and thumb carbs, I've got some rolling in soon.

In another forum, the name of the thread is-saw mods for the visual learner by tw

Last edited:
:cheers:
In Frankie's case Poofter Ported!......Hahahahahahaha!

Joatmon, good one!

Nah, dennis, haven't had anything poofter ported. Haven't heard anything about the poofter porter for a long long while. Is he still doing saws. Fair bit of progress been made in the last few years. Some of the old fellows that arent keeping up with the new tricks gonna be left in their rocking chairs pondering the hereafter!

Joatmon, good one!

Nah, dennis, haven't had anything poofter ported. Haven't heard anything about the poofter porter for a long long while. Is he still doing saws. Fair bit of progress been made in the last few years. Some of the old fellows that arent keeping up with the new tricks gonna be left in their rocking chairs pondering the hereafter!

Frankie......Here's one of my new rocking chair saws, poofter ported, with small poofter pipe!:cheers:

melody250001.jpg

Dennis,

I went to a recent show and noticed many of the saws had brackets underneath.
I can imagine it is for stability and to bring the saw up closer to the wood.
Do you know if there is a limit to how tall the legs can be?

Thank you 24d, what is your screen name someplace else?

Buck, the saw has to sit on an operational part. That is why the bikes started running pipes underneith. At least that's what a few have told me. On my saw, it would sit about six inches lower if the pipe went out the side. The under-slung pipes really help with side-to-side balance also.

Back