When to Mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodFellers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just ordered a new Echo 355-T saw for my tree service and there are a few common and simple mods I've come across. I'm in an urban area and residential clients may or may not care about a bit louder climbing saw... not sure. Also, maybe it makes sense to wait to mod till after the commercial warranty is up?

Anyway, my question is, is it beneficial to mod a saw at a certain point if you are going to mod it? Breaking in seems to be debatable on the forums but seems to make enough sense to me and so would it make any difference to saws power or reliability potential if I break it in before moding, mod before breaking in, mod after breaking in and a year of use...etc.

*SIDE NOTE: This Echo is an upgrade from a JonCutter g2500 saw (love it and still going strong but definitely lacking for power on some bigger tops/limbs...etc.) So I am also flirting with the idea of doing an experiment with my $90 g2500 comparing that stock to post mod, those to $400 echo stock vs mod... wont be apples to apples per say but might help others on a tight budget see where their needs fall on the price to power optimization graph that would be gained from the experiment.

Grab a spare muffler and some carb limiter plugs. Cut the cat out of one muffler, pull the plugs for tuning. If you need warranty service you can put it back to original condition. There might even be cat-free OEM mufflers for the 355.

Are you the same guy who posts videos of tree work on YouTube?
I have not gotten into the youtube video space. I think I probably should because it would probably help with job leads and algorithms for my company and whatnot... and I know it's something I need to get over, but happiness and productivity seem to increase as screen time decreases! If I could I would get rid of my cell phone even.

Instead of spending time and money on a mod to get more power, why not just buy a bigger saw in the first place?
I mean, this is my bigger climbing saw haha. With limited financial resources to start a business my initial investments prioritized saftey and function. I still have initial investments to make (building a chip box today for example) but this is the first upgrade of my cheap clones which have earned it. Many pros climb with the 355-T and love it, recommend it and don't feel the need to invest more in say a 200 or 201T. I'm sure there is plenty of debate to be had surrounding that but to answer the ? its half what I view to be an appropriate allocation of available business resources and half because sometimes its not just a business decision. Best analogy I can think of is how I train hard, spend money and free time studying to climb a big rock instead of taking a helicopter to the top. I actually got into tree work full time because no one was ever going to pay me to pull on rocks! haha

I just climbed a multi pitch in Rio de Janeiro that topped out at the Jesus statue... many people took the helicopter tour which was faster, more popular, and prob cheaper if you took into account how much I have spent on climbing gear gym memberships over the years...etc. but after hanging on the side of a rock face all day w my friends, pulling hard, dealing with sketchy wet sections because of the conditions that day... topping out over the railing dirty and sweaty to a bunch of tourists cheering for you... I guess its not the most rational but style counts. Modding a saw and feeling it rip through wood after would bring a certain kind of satisfaction that would prob make me smile every time! I could definitely appreciate a top notch engineered pro saw that costs 2x as much... but I honestly dont think I'd get the same satisfaction bc I love saws and tinkering with motors and the learning process.

What made you choose the 355 over the 2511? The 2511 is such a fun saw to use and a beast for it's size IMO.
Honestly just because I already had the g2500 that’s a light weight 25cc and love it. It is lacking for bigger tops though. (which could definitely be bc I have a bigger bar than recommended and haven’t been able to find mounting screws that fit this 14” bar properly) … that along with everyone being bonkers for a 35cc 200T and also seeing other companies using the 355T and recommending it.

My plan is for the g2500 to be my pruning saw and if my cash flow is looking nice by the time that $h*ts the bed I’d definitely consider the 2511 as a replacement!

What made you choose the 355 over the 2511? The 2511 is such a fun saw to use and a beast for it's size IMO.
Have you used a 35cc saw much? I’ve only used the lighter 25cc so I have no clue if I’m going to be blown away by the extra power or go running back to my lighter saw 90% of the time! Haha

I haven't ran the 355, but I picked up a used 2511, bolted on an Egan straight pipe and hasn't given me reason to invest into a larger displacement top handle.

It's an awesome little saw for in the trees, limbing or clearing brush, very zippy running a 12" bar.

Mad3400

I have not gotten into the youtube video space. I think I probably should because it would probably help with job leads and algorithms for my company and whatnot... and I know it's something I need to get over, but happiness and productivity seem to increase as screen time decreases! If I could I would get rid of my cell phone even.
Growing a good channel on YouTube is a full time job in itself lol

I have not ran a 35cc TH saw before. Just like Mad3400, I bought the 2511 and swapped on an Egan performance straight pipe which claims via dyno (IIRC) a 27% increase in power. Mine has a 12" bar on it and it is absolutely my favorite saw to run, - and I own a few newer pro saws. It is an absolute beast of a saw for it's size. I considered the 355 and the 271 but all the reviews I read said to skip those and go straight to the 2511, so I did... No regrets....

I haven't ran the 355, but I picked up a used 2511, bolted on an Egan straight pipe and hasn't given me reason to invest into a larger displacement top handle.

It's an awesome little saw for in the trees, limbing or clearing brush, very zippy running a 12" bar.

Mad3400
This does sound great! However, at least what I'm seeing is the 2511 is over $100 more than what I paid for the 355. Maybe that speaks to how nice the 2511 is!

I have not ran a 35cc TH saw before. Just like Mad3400, I bought the 2511 and swapped on an Egan performance straight pipe which claims via dyno (IIRC) a 27% increase in power. Mine has a 12" bar on it and it is absolutely my favorite saw to run, - and I own a few newer pro saws. It is an absolute beast of a saw for it's size. I considered the 355 and the 271 but all the reviews I read said to skip those and go straight to the 2511, so I did... No regrets....
Nice, the 2511 sounds like a great saw for sure! I'd be excited to rip one.

Nice, the 2511 sounds like a great saw for sure! I'd be excited to rip one.
I'm curious why it's $100 more than the (bigger/stronger) 355. Is the 2511 a "pro saw" (whatever that is) and the 355 a homeboner saw?

I'm curious why it's $100 more than the (bigger/stronger) 355. Is the 2511 a "pro saw" (whatever that is) and the 355 a homeboner saw?
haha 'homeboner'....Good question. Nothing popped up right away with a quick search...I looked in Echo USA's site and they won't say its a 'Pro' line, or best in class... but they say say their X Series represents '...our best in class products designed for the landscaper...' I couldn't find any explanation of what differentiates the product lines but the 2511T and 2511TN were part of that X Series line.

haha 'homeboner'....Good question. Nothing popped up right away with a quick search...I looked in Echo USA's site and they won't say its a 'Pro' line, or best in class... but they say say their X Series represents '...our best in class products designed for the landscaper...' I couldn't find any explanation of what differentiates the product lines but the 2511T and 2511TN were part of that X Series line.
The 2511 prices went up because they are popular.

Latest posts

Back