Saw Shops in/near Eureka/Arcata, CA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheese

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gents,

On the road again and wondering what sort of cool or interesting chain saw or logging related shops you would recommend checking in Northern California. Last time you steered me right in Oregon and Washington, hoping for similar here.

We have a couple of big tree days planned, hoping to see some shops and or history. Depending on how things go, it may be time to add a saw to the fleet if the price/time was right.

Apparently there is a big conference for foresters in the area at the same time, perhaps some of you will be there too?

Thanks.

Eureka has a couple good shops, Fortuna, which is south on 101 has Scotty's Cutters Edge and Wildwood which is also sells sporting goods.

Dude, just go up to Garberville. There will be a guy named Dave hanging out near a pay phone. You'll recognize him because he'll have a beard and be wearing a backpack. Just ask him, and he'll tell you all about, ####, what was the question?

The logger bar in Blue Lake has a nice assortment of old saws hanging on the walls.

Blue Ox mill in Eureka is an interesting place if you are interested in old wood working machinery. it is on the north west part of Eureka, any further north or west and you will be wet. Pay the money for the tour it goes to a good cause.

Fern Canyon is worth the drive.

You have to go to the Samoa Cookhouse! It is an old logging camp mess hall. It has a neat little display of old equipment. Go there very hungry. Food is awsome and is all you can eat (not crappy buffet food). I go there every time I am in that area.

Hell I may just have to head over there to get a bite to eat now. I'm gettin hungry.

Not to :arg: but I want to come to Ca and see the big ones before I leave this rock. If you were planning a week long trip to that area where would I go and what to see? WDO

Uh, Redwoods? The hippie stores in Arcata?

+1.. the Samoa Cookhouse is a great idea, I'd do Frendale, Trinidad is one heckuva view. The economy has been for squat for many years, but just being there is great. I don't know if I would spend an entire WEEK in one place, but the areas mentiond in combination with a drive up the Pacific Highway to see Fort Bragg, Ferndale, Scotia (the Pacific Lumber company's historic lumber camp), Eureka, Arcata, then on up to Coos Bay would be a grest Pacific Coast vacation.

Thanks for the beta ladies and gents.

Heard stories about the smoke in Arcata, not my deal though. I will keep an eye out for the guy at the phone.

Our group was headed to the Cookhouse anyway. I am a recovering fat guy so we will keep the eating low key.

We are already headed to a mill and some of the big forest sites.

Any cool stuff at the saw shops? Cannon bars or other stuff of note from big operations.

+1.. the Samoa Cookhouse is a great idea, I'd do Frendale, Trinidad is one heckuva view. The economy has been for squat for many years, but just being there is great. I don't know if I would spend an entire WEEK in one place, but the areas mentiond in combination with a drive up the Pacific Highway to see Fort Bragg, Ferndale, Scotia (the Pacific Lumber company's historic lumber camp), Eureka, Arcata, then on up to Coos Bay would be a grest Pacific Coast vacation.

That's what I was wanting. Like how many days to spent in this town of that town. Where to fly into and a good route to take to see as much as possible in 5 days or so. Also where to stay, what to do, and where are good eating joints. A place or two for a good stout would be great :cheers:

Eel River Brewry in Fortuna has good food, if you will be around there.

Fern Canyon is quite a drive from Eureka, but is a must see. You might need a four wheel drive to get there this time of year though. The dirt road out there can get really muddy, and it is steep right at the beginning. Your likely to see lots of elk out there.

Patricks point State Park is also a great place to hike around. It is just north of Trinidad. Great views, good beaches for walking on, nice camp sites (especially the agate beach area) and lots of trails. The ups and downs can get to you though if you aren't up to it. Hiking down to the beach or tidepools is great, but the climb back up can really hurt!

If I was going to Samoa cookhouse, the I would try to go for breakfast! That is always great!

I like the seafood at Gill's by the bay - especially the chowder. We like to get chowder, calamari strips and fries there. My dad says that they also serve up a good seafood breakfast, though I have not tried that. It is in King Salmon just south of Eureka, at the end of King Salmon Ave.

Across from the mall in Eureka, up on the hill, is the old fort. They have some old logging trains and other steam donkeys that are neat. They only fire them up once in a while, but they are neat to see. Lots of history in that park. We took the kids last summer and got to ride the train, see one of the steam donkeys run, etc.

Loleta cheese factory is kind of a fun place too. The kids like that. You can sometimes see them make cheese, and you can sample a lot. It is in downtown Loleta (between Eureka and Fortuna). Ferndale is neat too. Lots of history there.

The old Scotia Mill used to have a walkthrough self-guided tour. They went bankrupt, got bought out, and I am not sure if they still have anything there, but seeing that water powered debarker was sure amazing! It would grab monster logs, throw them around like match sticks, start spinning them and blow the bark right off with a jet of water! Scotia also has a Logging museum in the town.

Fortuna has a small museum in the park that is open a couple days a week. I don't remember which days. It's the old train station. Not a lot in there, but several old small engines if I remember correctly. Could be interesting. I mostly remember that they had an old rototiller that my dad was interested in. He said that his dad sold them when he was a kid. The tines were thin and springy like a pitchfork. I had never seen anything like it.

If you head down to the Fort Bragg area (long drive), you can ride the Skunk train. That's lots of fun too.

Anyway, I am sure there is lots else to do too, and I hope you have fun.

Sounds like some Great places..... keep um coming. I was looking at flying into Eugene or Redding. But it's cheaper to fly right into Eureka. I'll have to check on a rental car there. We are thinking sometime the first part of May. Is that a good time to come? What type of weather that time of year? WDO

I believe you would be flying into Arcata, although Eureka does have a municipal airport.

The weather in May is probably going to be overcast and possibly rainy. That is the way it usually is there. It is kind of luck of the draw! Lots of times it will be rainy during the morning and get sunny into the afternoon. Basically, if you want to be sure of nice sunny weather, then August through September is great. If you don't mind rain, then May will probably be just as good as June and July. The redwoods, ferns, etc. are very nice in a mild rain.

As far as temperature, don't expect it to get any colder than 55 or 60 degrees - probably warmer in May. It pretty much never gets above 80 degrees there during the summer either. It can get windy too. My dad lives over there, so we always pack for cold and warmer weather (usually not shorts), and we ALWAYS bring coats - even in August.

Back