Saw Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm just curious to know, is it better to run your saws dry and store them like that, which is what I've been doing or put some tru fuel in them and store them that way. Another option is to put tru fuel in them and then run em dry, just worried about ethanol.

Theres nothing better than starting your saws regularly and letting them warm up. An empty tank will always cause less problems for the Long Haul.
There are those who say Sta-Bil works well...

I use startron in all fuel and have never drained a saw. No problems so far.

ok,, seriously,,,, i drain the mix,, start it up and let it idle till it stops,,, then fill it up with antifreeze mix,,70/30 is best,, put the fuel cap back on tight and put it back on the shelf,, the antifreeze will keep the tank from freezing

This subject intrests me very much ... .

I have xx saws as of present and am planning for
xxx or so saws in the not to distant future ... .

Im am using 98 octane gas (instead of 95) as I
have learned that 98 have no ethanol - right-or-
wrong?

During season all my saws are working for their
housing, but off season I am starting them up
every fourthnight (biweekly) and air-saw with
them for 1-2 minutes - right-or-wrong?

This subject intrests me very much ... .

I have xx saws as of present and am planning for
xxx or so saws in the not to distant future ... .

Im am using 98 octane gas (instead of 95) as I
have learned that 98 have no ethanol - right-or-
wrong?

During season all my saws are working for their
housing, but off season I am starting them up
every fourthnight (biweekly) and air-saw with
them for 1-2 minutes - right-or-wrong?

Unsure about ethanol content in your fuel over there. Over here, unless it specifically says "ethanol free", it contains ethanol.

Starting and running them that often, should not have issues in my opinion.

Saws are kept in a heated basement. Never drained always ready to fire. I would probably rethink my plan if my "valuables" were kept outside in the cold like animals or step-children or... my wife likes the shed, she can stay out there......now saws....they stay in the basement or bedroom.....whatever.

ok,, seriously,,,, i drain the mix,, start it up and let it idle till it stops,,, then fill it up with antifreeze mix,,70/30 is best,, put the fuel cap back on tight and put it back on the shelf,, the antifreeze will keep the tank from freezing

:waaaht:

Lol...iantifreeze hih

run them, put them in the shed, then use them again.

If they dont run well i guess Illit rebuild them. Makes an excuse for me to tinker.

i always dump the tank and let it idle till it quits,,done....... always starts back up when i need it to months down the road

Last edited:
I've got a Stihl line trimmer (FS-44) that is going on 15 yrs. old. Still looks and runs like it's new.

When I'm done using it, the fuel gets dumped back into the 5 gal. jug, and then it gets started back up and idles til it dies.

Never had any issues with it and ethanol either.

I run mine dry, then fog the system with seafoam. I also treat my gas with seafoam for every mix. Cheap insurance.

Seafoam contains alchohol. Using it as a preservative might not be such a good idea.

I believe in the Tru Fuel and similar products to use in my saws while storing. I even use a dab to store my generators. They claim no ethanol and a 2 year shelf life. It works for me.

What's in the tank to freeze? AIR?

I'm just curious to know, is it better to run your saws dry and store them like that, which is what I've been doing or put some tru fuel in them and store them that way. Another option is to put tru fuel in them and then run em dry, just worried about ethanol.

As long as youre putting some tru-fuel or equaivalent in the saw and running it through, I dont really think you have to idle it out after the fact. Something to consider is how long you are storing them for. Everything will go bad sooner or later so if youre talking 1 year plus then maybe tru-fuel and idle out.

As long as youre putting some tru-fuel or equaivalent in the saw and running it through, I dont really think you have to idle it out after the fact. Something to consider is how long you are storing them for. Everything will go bad sooner or later so if youre talking 1 year plus then maybe tru-fuel and idle out.

that makes sense for long term storage

Back