Saw Tuning for Seasonal Weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it correct to tune saws richer in cold weather(winter) and leaner in warm weather(summer) ?

Generally, yes. Cold air requires more fuel to keep stoic. Most locations in TX of which I am aware do not get 'cold' by northern standards. You ought not to need much adjustment season to season.

Listen to the saw, and err on the rich side!

Most folks I am around don`t tune their saws at all , they run the same tune no matter what temp or humidity, hi or low air pressure day, I personally tune my saws a few times a day, the saw tells me what it wants/needs but I know my own saws very well, most folks do not know their saw or saws needs so a general rule of thumb is what they shoot for so yes a bit richer for cold days and a bit leaner for warm to hot days, I would suggest no more than a quarter turn either way from base settings on most saws to prevent going too lean.If a saw is screaming/ very high revs then it is far too lean.

Most folks I am around don`t tune their saws at all , they run the same tune no matter what temp or humidity, hi or low air pressure day, I personally tune my saws a few times a day, the saw tells me what it wants/needs but I know my own saws very well, most folks do not know their saw or saws needs so a general rule of thumb is what they shoot for so yes a bit richer for cold days and a bit leaner for warm to hot days, I would suggest no more than a quarter turn either way from base settings on most saws to prevent going too lean.If a saw is screaming/ very high revs then it is far too lean.
Your doing it the right way and most guys saws run like dog ****.

I'm not very good at tuning and learning all the time. I can tune from scratch (or default settings) but am not good at listening to the saw and saying "this saw needs tuning." Hence I tune slightly rich in cold weather and generally leave it there. Also we have a maritime climate without massive temperature swings.

Your doing it the right way and most guys saws run like dog ****.
I can attest to that, last Thursday past I was cutting beside a fellow that has more than 30 years of running chainsaws in the woods, he was running a Husqvarna 266 and every time he would take his finger off the throttle it would die, he was attempting to tune it with a jacknife blade but no matter where he set the screws it would stall quickly. It would take far too many pages to describe this fellows shortcomings on running chainsaws, he can`t file a chain proper, runs the bar oil out 5 mins before the fuel tank is dry and seldom cleans out the air filter. He was cursing his saw when I offered to take a look, I carry a carb setting screwdriver with me full time, first I took the top cover off to check the airfilter, it was covered with a half inch of woods debris, couldn`t see a bit of the filter cover. Cleaned it and reset the adjust screws close to where I figured should at least run the engine, rest of the saw needed blow out but had to do that back at camp with compressed air. Saw started 2nd pull and only needed a tweek to have it idle for hours, High side sat good where it was set, he actually got some wood cut up and the saw never stalled out again that day.

I can attest to that, last Thursday past I was cutting beside a fellow that has more than 30 years of running chainsaws in the woods, he was running a Husqvarna 266 and every time he would take his finger off the throttle it would die, he was attempting to tune it with a jacknife blade but no matter where he set the screws it would stall quickly. It would take far too many pages to describe this fellows shortcomings on running chainsaws, he can`t file a chain proper, runs the bar oil out 5 mins before the fuel tank is dry and seldom cleans out the air filter. He was cursing his saw when I offered to take a look, I carry a carb setting screwdriver with me full time, first I took the top cover off to check the airfilter, it was covered with a half inch of woods debris, couldn`t see a bit of the filter cover. Cleaned it and reset the adjust screws close to where I figured should at least run the engine, rest of the saw needed blow out but had to do that back at camp with compressed air. Saw started 2nd pull and only needed a tweek to have it idle for hours, High side sat good where it was set, he actually got some wood cut up and the saw never stalled out again that day.
Thanks for all you do for so many of us here and those you see in person like in your above comment. I can’t speak for everyone, but I appreciate your help and guidance tremendously over the years.

Latest posts

Back