Saw Won't Run On Its Side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironpig70

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have an older husky 395 its not an xp, any how i had some trees removed and do to circumstances(like fences) they left some tall stumps in the yard. my husky will run like mad in an upright posistion but dies with in a few seconds if its laid on its side to cut the stumps. i'm a mechanicailly inclined home owner so is this a fix for me or should i drop the coin and take it to my saw shop.

Might sound obvious as a start, but check that the fuel filter isn't stuck in a corner of the tank. Could be that when you turn the saw on its side the filter comes out of the fuel and it stalls.

Does it die when tipped on it's side without hitting the throttle? if so your low jet may be to rich.

air leak

I'm hardly one to give advice here, but from what I've read on this site before, changes in a saw's position that cause a change in RPM are often due to air leaks.

yawning_dog said:
I'm hardly one to give advice here, but from what I've read on this site before, changes in a saw's position that cause a change in RPM are often due to air leaks.
You are right if the saw is revving when on his side.Ironpig seems to say she is dying instead.

revving

>>>> You are right if the saw is revving when on his side.Ironpig seems to say she is dying instead.

Aaaah, okay, I stand corrected. I guess I've seen it have trouble running based on position but perhaps that is because I've had the saw "compensated" for small air leaks when running flat and level. Anyway, thanks for pointing this out!

It is definitly the fuel line in the tank. It either has a hole in the fuel hose, filter and hose is stuck in one position , or the fuel hose has broken off half way down into the tank.Use a stiff piece of wire and fish out the filter and fuel hose through the filler cap, chances are it is not attached to anything and has broken off or has holes in it. You can buy new hose and do the replacement yourself if you are mechanicaly inclined. Good luck.

well i'm an idiot;) pulled apart the saw in hopes of getting to the filter in the tank:laugh: any how while the saw was apart i cleaned it up and checked the hoses, linkage to carb and everything else. found a short in the kill switch(saw would turn on but not off). long story short i pulled the fuel filter and its dirty so tommorrow i'm off to the saw shop. don't know why i made the problem more than it was a gas motor is a gas motor:laugh:

ironpig70 said:
i pulled the fuel filter and its dirty so tommorrow i'm off to the saw shop. don't know why i made the problem more than it was a gas motor is a gas motor:laugh:

not to jinx you but i hope you're not speaking too soon here. as far as i know, a clogged or partially-clogged fuel pickup shouldn't cause the saw to stall when turned on its side...i'd take a real good look at the fuel line for cracks or holes, etc

surely there are other things to look at but i'm not sure what they are... good luck!

That's great. I hope you get it running right. Nothing worse than a saw that won't run on it's side. On the other hand, you've got a good excuse to go out and buy another saw now!! It's Christmas!!!

i'm a home owner with 3 saws:blob2: and really only need 1. anyhow feel that i'll change the filter and see what happens and go from there.

I've got 4 saws and had almost all fo my trees cut down. I've got 6 trees left and I won't be cutting them down unless they die. I have a fireplace and I burn maybe a half cord of wood a year. It's just fun to play with them!!!!

Iron,
When it goes to quit, does it rev up and quit like when you run out of gas or does it bog down and quit like the choke is on?
Gregg

Latest posts

Back