Sawing technique question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiralAcacia

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Noticed my neighbour using a "back n forth" motion when sawing.
Exept for the joke about the guy who didn't know about Starting The Saw...
I'v been told it's done to minimize the friction on one point of the bar.
Is it true? Is it common knowledge?

I try to work so the wood rests against those spikes at the bottom of the bar, so the saw won't pull on the wood. So I usually use the same bar zone.

Thanks for any info.

Like rebel man said.

Although minimizing the friction on one point on the bar is a good one. Is his saw running while he rocks it back and forth?:hmm3grin2orange:

Your saw cuts best when the felling spikes are against the log. The farther out he moves it the less efficient (and more dangerous) it is.

moving the saw

There is an instance when an experienced cutter does want to move the bar back and forth. When feeling for the bar being pinched.

If you are felling or bucking and think you might be about to get pinched you can move the saw back and forth and detect when it is just starting to get bound faster than seeing it.

On a normal back-cut, you'd say put in some insurance wedges. Usually you'd be right. Sometimes tree diameter is a problem. Putting in a face on a rotten leaner could be another spot to float the bar a bit.

A slight advantage to this is that you can do this floating with the area near the tip of your bar and be ready to remove your saw quickly and yourself a little faster from that spot.

Ive normally seen this on inexperienced or Poindexter types. Sharp chain pulls the bar in so fast that there really isn't that much pressure on one point of the bar. I would hope my cutters are cutting on the length of the bar.

If you are bucking a log on very steep ground and there is top bind, you can use the back and forth thing motion instead of a wedge. This keeps the kerf open for the bar, the when the top of the cut closes you can finish the cut without the back and forth motion. Some places you can kiss your wedges goodbye if you used them bucking.

But you are right it is usually the sign of inexperience.

Probably a dull chain and just begging to have the saw kick back on him. Bars are cheap and kick backs can be very expensive and not just in $$$.
The dogs are there, use 'em.

Glad to see it's not something I missed on the way...

Interesting to see there IS a place to use the back n forth motion. Though I doubt I'll get the chance to use it since I'm on the opposite side to Pro, just chopping medium to small diameter firewood...

Thanks for the replies guys, going back now to feeding the stove with some mango wood!

Acacia

Latest posts

Back