Sawing Walnut Part 4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, it's time to mill up the bigger limbs on the walnut tree that was given to me... So, i loaded one of them on the mill,

standard.jpg

I decided seeing as it was so small, i'd leave the curve in it... Perhaps i can fit that curve into a design of what ever i make out of it?

standard.jpg

The next limb has a big crook in it, so i had to make a decision on how to cut it to fit on the mill,

standard.jpg

and opened it, sawing it into 5/4 boards...

standard.jpg

Then i loaded another piece on the mill...

standard.jpg

And started milling it into 5/4 lumber too...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

As you can see, this last piece is too short to go on two bunks at once... In that case, i use one of the hydraulic toe boards to hold one end up...

standard.jpg

Then opened it up, and started taking boards off...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Well, here's the tally from the limbs that i sawed. As you can see, i sawed one board at 10/4...

standard.jpg

So, now it's time to get all of the walnut i've sawn from this tree, properly stickered and covered. So, i pick up the whole stack and move it to where it will be untill it's air dryed!

standard.jpg

I then restacked the whole pile with the "best" boards in lower part of the stack. That puts the "most" weight on the "best" boards, helping them to dry flatter for the best quality possible!

standard.jpg

And, isn't it fitting that a nice walnut tree has come up right by my stack of walnut???

standard.jpg

That's it for this tree, other than a few short pieces i'll square up and dry for turning squares... I hope you enjoyed part 4 of "Sawing A Walnut"...

Rob

Thanks Sawyer Rob, you took the time to get every last bit of walnut out of that tree. Lot of work for those limbs considering what you get from them, but hey if you have the time go for it. I would have if I had the time. Walnut is walnut, and even the sapwood boards are worth something to me.

btw, I too try and stack the best boards on the bottom so they get the benefit of the most weight. Can't always do that, but I try. At the very least, I never put premium boards in the top 2-3 layers unless I have a LOT of weight on that stack, and that is hard to do realistically. Course if I had a tracker with a lift like that...

Rob, with your covered stack - I've seen my covers like that go sailing in a 30 mph wind. Best fix is on both ends, throw a rope under the stack, right up & around the metal cover & cinch it up good. I got tired of looking for mine after a good blow.

I am jealous of what you can do. Looks like a nice stack of wood.

I used to saw or have logs sawn for me quite a bit but haven't had logs in some 3 yrs now.

Chris

Nice Job Rob! I too try too get the most out of walnut as it is king of the hardwoods.:clap: Mark

Latest posts

Back