Sawmill questions and locator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am wanting to branch out from my firewood biz and I was thinking I could work with someone to take some of the really large forked oak logs I have and saw them into nice table tops. My questions are, What is the shortest length that can be run on a band saw mill and is there anyone on here that is near Chatham Va.?

I am wanting to branch out from my firewood biz and I was thinking I could work with someone to take some of the really large forked oak logs I have and saw them into nice table tops. My questions are, What is the shortest length that can be run on a band saw mill and is there anyone on here that is near Chatham Va.?

I don't think there is a length limitation on bandsaw mills, worst case, you may have to make some sort of cradle to hold short pieces.

Width is more likely to be a limitation. Small portable mills are typically limited to 20" - 24" cut widths. There are bigger mills available, but generally further up the price scale.

Wide slabs are where chainsaw mills or slabbing mills shine. Bear in mind that the slabs will have to dry for years, and some will split or warp badly. It's not a get rich quick scheme.

I know it's not a get rich quick idea but I have access to some logs that have been sitting on a yard for 3-4 years or more. Nothing in life is ever a simple get rich quick idea unless it involves bank robbery and life in prison :monkey:

I'd say you should call woodmiser or some of the other brand mills and ask them for the owners in your area. Some of them even have a locater on some of the websites. You can try woodfinder.com also.

On my Dad's LT 40 woodmizer with manual log lock. The shortest log that would be able to clamp on it was 4 1/2 feet. But as MtnGun said the with is no where near what you will get with a CSM.

Billy

Latest posts

Back