Sawmills 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy CAD

I've recently started getting alot of mileage from a free CAD program that is pretty intuitive to use. Google Sketchup is the program and the basic program can be downloaded from thier site. It's easy, free and can be used for almost anything. It's a 3D program which enables you to easily move around your model. Its pretty cool to catch a mistake that you would'nt have seen otherwise. I've really enjoyed using it and I'm pretty much a knuckle dragger when it comes to computers. If you have'nt tried it already give it a shot. It will keep you occupied until you have enough money to actually pay for the project.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Yeah - they don't mean sheet right! :dizzy:

My hieroglyphics are step one in the process but generally enough to go direct to a prototype because the hieroglyphics are just bits of any overall project. The overall plan is just held in my head and I roll it over and over so buy the time I'm ready to fire up a welder I can visualize it completely without a drawing. Sometimes I draw up a scale diagram with dimensions or a simple plan on the computer like this.
attachment.php

But usually I just start cutting up bits of metal and wood and go with the flo!

Cheers

Bob you do awesome work and I am not as gifted as you but our drawing look very very similar in any project I start lol:cheers:

Cheers R&S, I'm really pleased that others on this forum get a kick out of my little projects. Most of my relatives and friends just glaze over and shake their heads at what I do. BIL (who helped me make the BIL mill) Joe is good value though, even though he's not into wood, we can chew the fat for hours over various metal work projects and I love watching him work - he's a real craftsman and ideas person, I'm more of the ideas person and not so hot on the craftsmanship.

Back