Saws on E-bay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sackett

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I like to support the local shops and I do not even have an account but I was looking at E-bay and there seems to be some decent deals on new saws.

Have any of you traded on e-bay. If so what are your thoughts on it.

I have bought used saws on ebay, but I usually only bid up to what I think they are worth assuming they need more work than maybe the seller is disclosing. Sometime's I might spend more if it's something I've been wanting for a while and know I won't find one for sale locally. Ebay is an amazing place to find parts and saws that are old and obsolete, and hard to find anywhere else.

Buying e-bay saws is a hit or miss.

Read this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=129152

I agree, even if you are able to look and run a saw before you buy it there is always that chance that it might not run tomorrow......I know a guy that wont even sell his old saws it could be just 4 or 5 years old just because of that reason.....personally I wouldnt buy a saw on ebay. But you never know..it might be a @$^# of a deal!!! :)

i sold over 50 new & like new saws on ebay this fall/winter,did very well. bought about 8 or 9 for myself,got hosed on 1,sent it back,pay pal got my $$ back. i have very good luck w/ebay,i feel you get out of it what you put in to it. it helps support my hobby,and has paid for some very nice vacations over the last couple of years. i have 2 different accounts on ebay,i will say the fees are getting a little steep.

I've been mostly lucky on e-bay with the several saws I've purchased on e-bay.
One that didn't run as advertised the seller took it back and paid the return shipping at his request. Another arrived with a broken clutch cover even though in my opinion the seller did a decent job of packing and the shipping company went out of their way to break it. Other than that, everything has been as advertised.

I've been totally hosed on saws twice (non-shipment), had one seller say "I dropped it in the driveway on the way to the Post Office (did not want to sell me "damaged saw" at a lower price, fishy), and about 25% of the time I order parts, they never show up. but i've also had some really good deals. I only buy new saws on Ebay, if looking for used I'll check local dealers and Craigslist.

You are really playing with fire when you buy saws on Ebay. I have, more than a couple times and have been fortunate enough. I have only had one bad transaction, and Ebay backed me up and refunded my money.
Sometimes, you just have to hit up Ebay. I bought my 090 on there, and couldn't be happier with it. I couldn't find one local, so glad that I had another resource.

Like some of the other members have said. It is a hit or miss.

I have sold a lot of saws on eBay, and have bought quite a few also, but I am about out of it.

You would need to read the description carefully, look at the sellers feedback, and see if he has sold chain saws before.

There are not always bargains, I have seen saws bid up above retail, especially Stihl.

eBay sellers are like a lot of dealers in saws , some are very good, while some are something else.

eBay now has buyer protection, so if you get a saw that does not run, or is not as described, they will get your money refunded including shipping.

With all that said if you are buying a new saw, buy it from a local dealer, you will be ahead of the game in a lot of ways.

i haven't had any luck at all with fleebay. lots of funny stuff going on there. shell-bidding for one, stolen stuff getting fenced another.

the biggest problem for me was nothing matched its item description. in other words looking good on the outside= worn out junk on the inside!:dizzy:

i had just as well buy a saw from "honest eddy-Joes used saws" and buy the one that he "found on the side of the road" or the one that he thought "must have fell off some truck" as deal with flee bay again.

i have bought 2 off ebay,,and they where perfect,,,the only way i buy off there is if it is an individual,,,i won't buy from pawn shops or anything like that

I agree with Mossman. It is not guaranteed of course, but a sellers rating, and a past history of selling saws with satisfied customers seems to be a decent guide. I recently bought a used 372 off ebay from a good seller - no complaints, except the border scam from UPS. I had been checking local craigslist etc., and found nothing so I went with ebay. The saw runs great and is even in good cosmetic shape - all for less than half the list price here in Canada. :clap:

Tim

eBay saw purchases

Using Paypal to pay for purchased saws allows for good recourse in the event of buying a clunker. Also, by reading the feedback messages about the seller, you can learn a lot about how folks have received his products and services. Worse comes to worse, fetch the seller's phone number and talk to him directly. Yes, there are cheats out there, but the two suggestions I've just made have worked swell for me and can work for you, too. There's lots of folks who will send even better products than they indicate in their ads, too. There's still lots of fine, honest folks out there, folks.

Latest posts

Back