Scam or Good deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about if a few of us agree to take the deal?

A scammer couldn't resist trying to get over on all of us, arranging to take our money and send the saws.

We would know pretty quick if more than one of us got the thumbs up on a deal.

Just a thought..... ask him to take the saws to the dealer he says he is calling so you can get the dealers opinion. If nothing else, it might paint him into a corner.

He just responded to my email.

Craig,

Hold up one minute. I think one is sold already to another guy. I will give him 24 hours to make up his mind. I do take paypal. I have a confirmed account and it has a 45 rating. If I take paypal there will be a 2 week waiting period before I ship due to the risk involved for me. I don't have a camera or high speed internet so pictures are not doable. If I could photo them I would have ebayed them as my account has a 68 rates and it's 100% good feedback. Plus I think these items need to go somewhere were they'll get used.

A guy I work with says when he's buying something from an ad like that, he ask them to put some object (the buyer decides what object) next to the item and take a pic of both. He bought a truck bumper so he asked the guy to sit a coke can on the bumper. This at least shows the person has the item and they're not using another pic. Seems like a good idea.

Here is what he said to me:

"I do have pictures but right now I have a buyer ahead of you. If he does not take them both I will email you and let you know something."

Sounds scammy to me.

Avoiding scams and fraud craigslist help forum

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

* NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

* FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

* CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

* NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

* AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

This is why Craigslist has a link to this at the top of all their listings. I would never buy something of this price without looking at the items. Especially if the items are located several states away.

Is there someone near the sellers location that could go look at the saws. That would solve it. Perhaps if someone tried to set up a time to meet the seller. If he is willing to meet it might be legit. If he won't meet there has to be a reason.

This is why Craigslist has a link to this at the top of all their listings. I would never buy something of this price without looking at the items. Especially if the items are located several states away.

Is there someone near the sellers location that could go look at the saws. That would solve it. Perhaps if someone tried to set up a time to meet the seller. If he is willing to meet it might be legit. If he won't meet there has to be a reason.

Do we actually know where the seller is located?
Finnbear

He did not provide any additional details on the saw or where he was located.

He said

"Thanks for your interest. I live deep in the woods here and use a ver low speed internet connection so I send photos to each person as the contact and show interest in the item. I currently have the saw held for 3 people in front of you. I don't have a phone here and I only get the lowest speed satalite connection speed thru my direct TV provider. If none of the guys in front of you buy the item I will give you a chance to buy it but I must be fair. I will ship it from here to where ever you need it to go. I will take payments via Paypal(I am verified and have a 45 rating with them), money orders, or cash if you live close to me. There will be a 2 week holding period on all sells other then cash."

He sent me his ebay account name themarijuanamission which is no longer a registered user.

This really stinks. :deadhorse:

Hm, been reading this thread with interest having never bought a thing on-line (much prefer to deal face-to face) and have a small, probably dumb, question for the experienced here; Why the problem with giving out the serial no. ? That would be one of the first things I'd want to know to check if it is stolen or reported missing and I cannot see an honest seller having a problem with doing so, so whats with that?
Just wondering at the hesitation and the bit about not giving out the first few numbers etc., sounds sortta strange to me.
Also about Pay Pal, don't they just hold the funds until shipment is recieved?

:cheers:

Thoughts on eBay

I'm an eBay PowerSeller with a verified PayPal account, etc.

I sell hundreds of items. Some of them saws.

One EVERY piece of equipment that I list I put the Serial and Model numbers if they are legible. There is no reason to not do this in my mind. Helps with ID and verifying the year and also fitment of parts.

This guy sounds WAAAAAY too rabbity. I'd say walk away man.....just walk away. You're looking for trouble, most likely you'll lose your $$$ with nothing to show for it. Possibly you'll get something resembling a saw that will cost you more to fix than buying a new one.

EBay can be a great means of finding equipment, etc. but if you get a funny feeling and have to ask around for advice if a seller is shafting folks...simply don't buy it.

My $0.02

My Saws

I guess you forget about this site and everyone dogs you for listing your deal else where. Yes I listed the saws that you arre talking about and I have others. And no I want change my mind about selling to people in Canada. I happen to like them even though they have strict gun control and other bull????. I only listed them for sell on craigslist for the fact it was free quick and I had forgot about this site. As you can see from my account posts I hadn't been online in a year. Now which ever of you have contacted who came here and called me a scammer you money is no longer any good with me. See I am able to be a ??????? cause another even bigger ??????? over paid me for my logging contracts and heavy equipment.

K R of Ratlifflogging.com fame and writer of many low impact guides online and off.

themarijuanamission

Must have had a crop failure..

I love my hobby.....lol. The truth behind it is I support legal marijuana and the last auctions I ran I did to raise money for a guy out of BC I know well who was fighting the US government over if was legal for him to do his business in canada even though it poured over to the USA.

KR

Back