Scammer in the trading post.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poulson01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a fake cashiers check for $1500 for a saw I was asking $125 for. I wanted to see how far it would go but I don't know what to do now. I showed the cops but they don't care. I reported it on a scam alert website. What should I say to string it out a little longer. Maybe I should tell him I didn't get the check and see if he'll send another....and another. Maybe I can scam him out of a few dollars worth of stamps.:)

Last edited:
I usually forward my Brother in laws info to scammers like this, man do I like to jerk him around. In all seriousness, I would forward the info to my local FBI, see if they have any interest.

Most likely even Interpol won't want to do anything, let alone the FBI. . . These guys are in Nigeria, and the like.

Most you can do is get some fun out'a the deal. . . String them along and waste their time, make them spend money to ship things, make them take pictures of themselves with signs that read funny things in Engrish, that they don't know what it means. Something like "I like the man missile" and such. There's a website dedicated to such fun things, where scammers are messed with.

You should edit out your real e-mail on this post.
That slows down the jerks (a little).

I have recently noticed in craigs list people spelling out their phone numbers.

If this gets real bad maybe a sticky list of scammer e-mail addresses.

Do a google search [email protected].

Did you incur any fee from your bank when you deposited the cashiers check? Once a bank accepts a deposit they have a partial responsibility for collecting on the debt, if the deposit was in good faith from the depositor. If you identified the check as bogus before the deposit, then it's up to you to determine the validity of the check. Most check scams like this ask for an account and routing number from you, "in order to correct the mistake and make amends" they want to wire funds. If you reply, guess what! they now have all of the information to wire funds from your account! I'm sure the cops told you to ignore the bogus payment and provide no further personal / account info.

Did you incur any fee from your bank when you deposited the cashiers check? Once a bank accepts a deposit they have a partial responsibility for collecting on the debt, if the deposit was in good faith from the depositor. If you identified the check as bogus before the deposit, then it's up to you to determine the validity of the check. Most check scams like this ask for an account and routing number from you, "in order to correct the mistake and make amends" they want to wire funds. If you reply, guess what! they now have all of the information to wire funds from your account! I'm sure the cops told you to ignore the bogus payment and provide no further personal / account info.

OOOOhhhh yeah, don't deposit that check. Frame it and tell your friends of your reverse scam.

Most likely even Interpol won't want to do anything, let alone the FBI. . . These guys are in Nigeria, and the like.

Most you can do is get some fun out'a the deal. . . String them along and waste their time, make them spend money to ship things, make them take pictures of themselves with signs that read funny things in Engrish, that they don't know what it means. Something like "I like the man missile" and such. There's a website dedicated to such fun things, where scammers are messed with.
Found one of those web sites you were talking about:

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

9.jpg

LOLOLOL!

Last edited:
Been selling on craglist for many years now and have seen hundreds of these
emails in my inbox.

They are all the same. dont waist your time with it.

Once they know you are on to them you wont hear from them again
and they dont care, they move on to the next victim.

The only thing you should do now is tell us the aborsite user name if he has one.

I will never respond to any email that asks if I still have it,
or what is the least price I will sell it for.

They are all scammers. 100%

Also once you respond they now have your email address to sell to others
and in your case they also now have your home address.

This same scam happens thousands of times everyday so its doubtfull
you will find any agency ready to help you catch this bad guy.

Found one of those web sites you were talking about:

LOLOLOL!

Dems dah ones!!! LOL

Them scammers get everything they deserve. . . I've watched shows where a lot of them have gotten quite wealthy scamming around the world -- mostly scamming the elderly.

My grandfather (who had the beginning stages of dementia) was scammed repeatedly, and only saved from being stabbed in a parking lot -- by my mother reading an email my grandfather had forwarded to her.

He was going to meet a "Jamaican gentleman" in a parking lot with $2,000 cash. . . And the "Jamaican" would bring $5,000 in "exchange".

Dangerous, dangerous stuff.

As per this notice, I've deleted the email. I'll give it a couple days and start messin with "Jimmy".:popcorn:

Notice to All: When you see spam please DO NOT quote it. Not only does this promote the spammer's agenda but it causes more clean up for the moderators. Please just use the report post feature. Thank you!!!
Warning-We just received an email that looks like this: Dear Customer, This e-mail was send by arboristsite.com to notify you that we have temporanly prevented access to your account. We have reasons to beleive that your account may have been accessed by someone else. Please run attached file and Follow instructions. (C) arboristsite.com This is not from ArboristSite.com. I comes with attachments and they are probably packed with a virus. Please do not open the attachment. If you do receive an email from Arboristsite, that looks suspicious, stating that your account has been breached go directly to the site, log in and change your password in the UserCP. Thank you, Jennifer Johnson

What's so bad about these crooks is that they don't even have to be in this country to aggravate us. They can do it from the jungle.

What some guy up here did, was tell them he has trouble cashing the cheque, and needed $50 to get it to clear from "His Friend" at the bank... But they would need to Western Union the money.

he got his $50 and then deposited the cheque to see of it was good. It wasn't and the bank came back for the money. He hadn't moved it, but still had the $50.

the bank charged him $20 for the "Bad Cheque" so he was only $30 up.

I thought that was kinda good.. but I'd run the amount up a bit..

to grease the palm, perhaps offer to accept a bigger cheque

Latest posts

Back