School me on woods porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What is woods porting exactly I’d love to learn and would be willing to sacrifice a newer poulan or 2 in the process. Would there be any benefit to woods porting a reed valve saw? Looking to make a good long Lasting saw not looking to build a super fast hot rod.

I will likely get flamed for saying this but here it goes. I dont think porting and muffler mods are a good idea. here is why. There is a reason why they make the saws the way they do. Some is EPA BS however. I hear a lot of guys on a few sights that need to rebuild their saws. As for me, I , my brother, dad, BIL, or anyone ever blew a chainsaw engine. It may very well be they are wanting too much performance out a 1" diameter piston. Want a faster cut, just get a bigger saw, or just be happy with a more modest saw.

I will likely get flamed for saying this but here it goes. I dont think porting and muffler mods are a good idea. here is why. There is a reason why they make the saws the way they do. Some is EPA BS however. I hear a lot of guys on a few sights that need to rebuild their saws. As for me, I , my brother, dad, BIL, or anyone ever blew a chainsaw engine. It may very well be they are wanting too much performance out a 1" diameter piston. Want a faster cut, just get a bigger saw, or just be happy with a more modest saw.
No epa BS on the saw I really want to port down the road.

Many years ago, there was a really good thread on woods porting a saw here on AS, complete with pics. I found this thread because I was searching for that one :) I'm in the same boat. Considering porting my 024 and 026 so that they run a little better with the 18" bars they wear. Been interested in the topic for years, but never had the time or a spare saw to work on that I could afford to trash. Now that the 024 is back in my stable, I'm thinking about picking up an aftermarket replacement jug and cylinder for it so that I don't trash the OEM parts. It's an 024AV, so I'll have to stick with the smaller P&C diameter. If it goes well, I'd probably do the same for the 026. If that goes well, I'd consider doing it for my 036 as well. Working on getting a 2nd 036 as a back up. Which ever one has less compression would probably be the candidate for a new ported after market top end. Not really interested in changing my timing on anything, or changing my squish. Just want to let them breath a little better and see what difference it makes.

Many years ago, there was a really good thread on woods porting a saw here on AS, complete with pics. I found this thread because I was searching for that one :) I'm in the same boat. Considering porting my 024 and 026 so that they run a little better with the 18" bars they wear. Been interested in the topic for years, but never had the time or a spare saw to work on that I could afford to trash. Now that the 024 is back in my stable, I'm thinking about picking up an aftermarket replacement jug and cylinder for it so that I don't trash the OEM parts. It's an 024AV, so I'll have to stick with the smaller P&C diameter. If it goes well, I'd probably do the same for the 026. If that goes well, I'd consider doing it for my 036 as well. Working on getting a 2nd 036 as a back up. Which ever one has less compression would probably be the candidate for a new ported after market top end. Not really interested in changing my timing on anything, or changing my squish. Just want to let them breath a little better and see what difference it makes.
Same boat I’m in except I wanna to it to a pioneer 1100 going to see if what I think is true first that homlite super xl jugs will fit.

Same boat I’m in except I wanna to it to a pioneer 1100 going to see if what I think is true first that homlite super xl jugs will fit.
Sure, you can woods port a reed valve saw. I've ported my P-series Pioneers since the '80s with good results. More recently, I think I actually know what I'm doing, and the results are really good. The timing numbers I use are no secret, but I don't know what I'd use for an 1100.

Sure, you can woods port a reed valve saw. I've ported my P-series Pioneers since the '80s with good results. More recently, I think I actually know what I'm doing, and the results are really good. The timing numbers I use are no secret, but I don't know what I'd use for an 1100.
Idk if I want to change timing exactly would need to go over this saw first waiting on my parts saw to arrive. Need to get it running before I make any big decisions just want a good work saw that will last a long time. I am going to make a pipe for it.

Woods porting is making the saw run better by modifying the port size and timing. Really, you have woods porting and race porting.

Woods porting is more modest and less risky than race porting. It usually involves making the ports wider, changing port timing, opening up restrictions in the saw, and opening the muffler. Everyone has a slightly different way of doing it. Woods porting helps the saw run cooler, live longer, make more power, and cut faster. More noise is a definite result. I used to be able to run my stihl ms390 without muffs, but after porting it's just too damn loud, so I wear muffs. Same goes for my husky 350. It'll split your ears. They both cut very well. The stihl is a "clamshell" motor, so the compression can't really be changed. I opened it up and it does much better, even pulling a 28" bar without any trouble. My husky 350 is a different kind of saw. It has a removable cylinder, so the compression can be increased. I worked that one over and even used epoxy to change the flow inside it. It turns 12-13k in the wood and feels like a lightsaber.

A properly woods ported saw will cut more wood and last much longer than a stock saw because it runs more efficiently and stays cooler.

Woods porting is making the saw run better by modifying the port size and timing. Really, you have woods porting and race porting.

Woods porting is more modest and less risky than race porting. It usually involves making the ports wider, changing port timing, opening up restrictions in the saw, and opening the muffler. Everyone has a slightly different way of doing it. Woods porting helps the saw run cooler, live longer, make more power, and cut faster. More noise is a definite result. I used to be able to run my stihl ms390 without muffs, but after porting it's just too damn loud, so I wear muffs. Same goes for my husky 350. It'll split your ears. They both cut very well. The stihl is a "clamshell" motor, so the compression can't really be changed. I opened it up and it does much better, even pulling a 28" bar without any trouble. My husky 350 is a different kind of saw. It has a removable cylinder, so the compression can be increased. I worked that one over and even used epoxy to change the flow inside it. It turns 12-13k in the wood and feels like a lightsaber.

A properly woods ported saw will cut more wood and last much longer than a stock saw because it runs more efficiently and stays cooler.
Never seen this till now since this is a reed valve I think I will just smooth out the transfers and play with the exhaust side a bit. Anyone in Canada have a junk homelite XL12 cylinder I want too if it fits the pioneer 1100 I have a very strong assumption that it does but don’t want to pay out for one of the new kits to find out it doesn’t.

I'm still trying learn all these terms...but if porting makes a saw better why aren't they made that way?

I'm still trying learn all these terms...but if porting makes a saw better why aren't they made that way?
The epa has a hand in it, along with sales, lawyers, production costs, and a host of other things. If they made them all as good as they could be, you'd only have a few saw models to choose from, because the rest would be obsolete. I have a ported 33cc saw that makes as much power as a stock 50cc, and a ported 50cc that is on par with 70 cc saws.

Look at stihl's lineup and what the horsepower numbers are. You could replace all those saws with just a few "good" ones (ported) and have a very simple selection, but they overlap power, quality, durability, weight, etc... let's overwhelm the customer....

Most of the new generation will never touch a saw, unlike the years past where everyone owned one. I would not want to hand a ported saw to anyone without experience, and even some with experience for that matter. A stock saw is very mild tempered. They rev slowly and don't make a lot of power for their weight. That helps reduce kickback and helps the user "keep up" with what the saw is doing. A ported saw can make 50% more power and revs instantly, making it more dangerous if used by someone without the knowledge of how to use and control it. Watch a few youtube videos of stock vs ported saws and you will quickly realize how much more power these saws are making. It's like dropping a race motor in a family car. It's not for everyone and you need to be careful with it.

The epa has emissions limits on saws, but that's measured in "quantity over time", so the saw makers choke them down so they make less exhaust per unit of time. All that does is hold heat in and reduce power. A ported saw will cut more wood faster, so the emissions are probably better overall than the stock saw. I can easily cut 6-8 cord of wood on a gallon of gas with my ported 350, but it would take at least 2-3 gallons with a stock saw. That much wood is easily 1-2 YEARS of heat for us, and it was cut with one gallon of gas. Not all ported saws are that efficient. My ported ms390 has a drinking problem and is only used when needed to break down large pieces.

The noise is another factor. Ported saws are loud, because you have to move air and fuel to make power, and that means more open exhaust. Most people don't like loud tools. You should wear hearing protection with any power tool, but most do not. I have hearing damage from running saws, shooting, etc... without hearing protection. I wear it all the time now. I was at a get-together last spring and we ran some big saws with "bark boxes" on them. It was just like being at the drag strip when two of them started cutting. Our muffs would vibrate on our ears and the ground shook. Those saws were bought as stock chainsaws and were ported, but the difference in power and noise was incredible. The bark box makes them even louder, and is not really needed, but it "sounds cool", so people use it. It's like pipes on a harley or a car/truck. Ported saws are louder, but they don't have to be THAT loud.

I don't like to run a ported saw early in the morning or late at night in town because it is so loud. A stock saw is fine though. I have both.
A ported saw is more productive and people like that. "Joe homeowner" doesn't need or want a ported saw to clean up a branch that fell when he can drive over to the local store and buy a "throwaway" saw for a couple hundred bucks. He feels good about running a chainsaw and feels like more of a man. He may or may not have saved any money over having someone else do it, but he did it himself and that's what he wanted to do. He will either stash the saw in the garage for 5 years or sell it. If he stashes it, chances are it won't start the next time he wants to use it, so he will buy another one or pay someone to fix it. That's how it goes. I have seen guys with 3,4,5, even 10 saws in their garage because they buy a new one whenever a branch/tree comes down and they want to do it themselves. That's probably why they make cheap saws.

I think porting/modifying is really interesting, will take some time though before I would try it - if ever. Thanks for the comprehensive and insightful contribution to this thread, it aligns with what I found out about it up to this point, reading and watching videos.

I consider woods porting a port job/mods that dont increase rpm much at all and start and idle like stock but still add some power.
On non clam shell saws you can ditch the base gasket to get more compression, that's half of your power gains right there.
Then you widen the ports a bit without taking too much out of the intake or transfers. If you really hog out the intake or transfers you gain power at high rpm but loose power and snap at low rpm. Same with raising the exhaust too much, too high and it will scream until you try to cut big wood then it bogs.

I bought cheap chinese saws as I wanted to mod them, I like to tinker and mod stuff.
The 5200 or 5800 china saws are easy to port and really work if you add a bigger intake and 372 carb, that saw is begging for mods. I consider these work saws or woods ported saws even with my mods as they still start easy and idle good they just rev 2000rpm higher while cutting.

A woods port should raise rpm, otherwise it's not doing much. Raised rpm in the cut means it is making more power. My 350 turns 12,000+ in the wood (18" bar and .325 chain) with .025" depth gauges. I file them down to ~.035" to put a load on the saw and make better use of the power.

Zeek, you will never go back to a stock saw after having your 346 ported. Guaranteed. It's like swapping out your bar/chain for a lightsaber. 😎

Are there any negatives to a port job or deleting the base gasket? I'm not looking for a race saw, just a dependable work saw that will last and be reliable if fueled correctly. Thinking of 261C-M and 462C-M (not new model).

Latest posts

Back