schools on forestry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
make sure you go to an SAF accedited school (society of american foresters). Paul Smiths sounds like fun, but U Maine and Virginia Tech, Michigan, and Oregon are the best programs out there.

huskykid141

huskykid141

ArboristSite Operative
schools of forestry

thank for all of the info. By the way nice pics. I will look into these colleges for the future. Also have to do a college research paper for english, this will help me out a lot. thanks everyone.

underwor

underwor

ArboristSite Operative
I was also a Saluki, graduated in 1969. Attended a few conclaves, as well as the Missouri Wood Industry Show. Good School. I now teach in a two year program at North Dakota School of Forestry on MSU-Bottineau Campus. Have been here 17 years. Not SAF, but I have students all over the US and Canada who are doing quite well. Also a little cheaper to get started. Have had several go on to other schools in Brookings, Missoula, Fargo, Texas A&M, and Brandon University in Manitoba, for advanced degrees after they decided what they wanted to specialize in. That saves a little money also.

Haven't visited Carbondale since 1974, I imagine it has changed a little. I see that you fellows still clean up at Conclave each year. We were sort of dominant at that time also.

Good Luck,

Bicboro

Bicboro

ArboristSite Lurker
The only thing I have ever agreed with HL is michigan know its forestry, not that, is where you need to go, but I really do believe we have higher standards than alot of other states.

Saw Bones

Saw Bones

ArboristSite Operative
Man come down south! you need to attend the one and only LSU! home of national champion the fighting tigers. Great atmosphere and hands down the most beautiful women in the world. You ever heard of the saying southern bell, well they are all there. Ha, man were every you go and study forestry, you will be pleased.

LS Who? Come to ULL in Lafayette, La.

Ha Ha, LSU is a good one too.

Sorry kk I had to throw that in there.

Stihl051master

Stihl051master

ArboristSite Operative
As Chevytahoe said, Michigan Tech has an excellent program, and Michigan State does as well. As far as scholarships go, whichever university you choose apply for EVERY scholarship you can find. Do online searches, check out all the local ones offered in your area. The time it takes to fill out all those applications is well worth it, even if you only get one of them. PM me if you want to know of any scholarships available in Michigan. Good luck!

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if any one has gone to the unniversity of maine and if anyone knows anything about scholarships i can get. thanks

I am at UMaine, and would probably be one of your TA's at some point. This is just second hand knowledge, but the rumor is that the School of Forestry has a LOT of money. You should be pretty able to get a scholarship, but being out of state might put you towards the end of the pack. UMaine is an awesome school, but not as kick azz as PSU. (Just had to clarify that PSU is the best university in the world. Especially for all you lousy Spartans and Wolverines.) :cheers:

Last edited:
DieselN2Stroke

DieselN2Stroke

I'm at Paul Smiths College. Have a bunch of forestry degrees 2 and 4 year programs. I was in a 4 year Industrial Forest Operations degree but recently switched to a 2 year urban tree management and a 4 in vegetation management. I will be getting both a associates and bachelors. I didn't like all the surveying in the other program. Beautiful campus, dorms are so-so, professors are great. Any other questions just ask:greenchainsaw:

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
I went to Paul Smiths 90-92. It is a great school with an expensive price tag. I then went to the College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) 92-94. I hated the schools’ location. It will be the only two years of city living for me. The people and programs are top notch at ESF. I wish the four year programs were at Paul Smiths when I was there. The best of luck to you.

huskykid141

huskykid141

ArboristSite Operative
Thank you everyone. Most of the schools you have listed i have researched and they are all great schools. It will be a tough decision picking which school i want to go to. This will help me out a lot while looking into my future.
:greenchainsaw:

underwor

underwor

ArboristSite Operative
Finally, if you are looking for a real change of scenery and a good deal money wise, come visit us at North Dakota School of Forestry @ MSU-Bottineau. Located at the base of the Turtle Mountains (a boreal forest ecosystem) on the high drift prairie and adjacent to the sand hills and Souris river marshes, it offers a wide variety of experiences, plus good hunting, fishing and hiking opportunities. Licenses are available to students at resident rates and lockers for your firearms are located in each dormitory. Arrangements may even be made to board your hunting companion, as long as it is 4 legged and barks.

The forestry program focuses on arboriculture and commercial landscape care. Other fields of interest in horticulture are also available to broaden your horizons and improve employability.

Cost: About $5 - 6000 per year. One and two year programs. Also online classes available.

Top plus: Me as an instructor!!!!!!

Cbrexdogg

Cbrexdogg

ArboristSite Lurker
I attended Iowa State and thought it was a really good school. The forestry department has since combined with animal ecology to form a new department. As far as I know the top forestry schools are Auburn, Oregon St., Colorado St. and Southern Illinois.

Latest posts