Score!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jcappe, congrats on the tractor. FEL is a great bonus.

Kevin

VERY nice! I'll have to add something like this to my want list!

VERY nice! I'll have to add something like this to my want list!

In time I hope to have a tractor with a FEL or skidstear.

Dan

Congrats. Jcappe. Looks like the beginning of a nice little wood handeling machine. I just got done pulling logs this afternoon with my John Deere 40hp
right of the drawbar with a short choker chain and they came out slick as can be. Wanted to mention that you can get forks that will clamp on to that bucket if you want for lifting and piling logs also. I just picked up a pair used but haven't had a chance to acutally use them yet. They should get tested out sometime this week. Here is a guy you might want to check out for your 3pt setup, maybe get some ideas. http://stores.ebay.com/Windy-Willow-Express_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaxQ3amesstQQtZkm

Have fun with that new machine.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Use this post:

www.tractorbynet.com

They're are a great bunch of guys over there that can really help you out on your project...

Good luck !

To build the tongs mentioned here:

Nice find! Those are nice little tractors. I have a Ford 901 Diesel that is a bit bigger than yours, but older. The nice thing about them is they are pretty easy to work on. A shop manual should be available at most TSC or Orscheln's stores. They don't look like much of a manual, but I completely rebuilt the diesel engine on mine with all new everything using one of those manuals. It's an old IHI manual.

Making a 3 pt log skidder for that won't be too much trouble. I see that you have a set of hydraulic lines at the rear. It would be easy to set up a cylinder to run the "tongs", bought or fabricated so you never need to get off of the tractor if you wanted. Otherwise, manual would be even easier. I can sketch something up for you if you are interested.

Do you have a welder?

The guys at that site talk tractors like AS members talk saws. You'll be in good company and will have a ton of advice available on tongs or other options.

If you search the posts there you will find some examples of skidding attachments.

Nice grab on that 3000!

:cheers:

You could look into mounting a hydraulic winch like a cable skidder. I own a cable skidder and it works better than a grapple for me. Like when I cross a creek and lower the logs drive ahead 10 to 20 feet and winch them back up.

just by looking at it -

vintage, about 1970
model 3000 - about 35 hp.

and I noticed that the 3 point arm (that goes into the top fitting, joint, whatever) is missing. But that's okay as these tend to rust tight if the tractor is left to sit out in the rain.

You will probably want to replace the seat after you get it running as seats from this era are usually fried by the sun.

Other things that will need replacement
1) spark plug wires
2) distributor cap

these are handy little tractors.

With a trailer (and not a terribly large one at that) you can pull it behind your truck and go on location to do all sorts of projects.

Before I forget, you may want to find a way to load the back of the tractor to keep it from tipping when lifting heavy loads. Something like a 5/8 piece of rebar with some weights going through the lower arms of the 3 point hitch.

Congrats on a sweet new toy, looks like its in pretty good condition, and the tires are fairly new, that's a big plus. You might want to turn the wheels right side in though, if you decide to add wheel weights, but, for running chains, having them on that way will save your fenders.

In addition to tractorbynet...

http://www.machinebuilders.net/

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/5/259-ford-3000.html

Thanks to another member here, the machine builders forum will get more of my late night attention than it should. There are numerous threads there on home built FEL, and forks that clamp on or can be quick-attached without leaving the tractor seat. It's worth checking the site out.

My own Ford 3400 Industrial with loader has become a valued tool in the few months its been here, and besides chains for the tires, and some liquid fill in them for added ballast, it still needs another 500# in the rear to offset a good load in the bucket, and to allow for good traction on slopes when cleaning snow from around the firewood area.
Mine also came with all the original shop manuals, owner and service manuals, very handy for working on.

I bought a lightly used 20' flat trailer, tandem axle, electric brakes on both axles, #12,500 gvw, and adjustable ramps that stow under the deck. Since the tractor with loader and filled tires comes in at #7,000, and even more with ballast or a rear mounted attachment, it was worth every penny to have a stout trailer that my 3/4ton truck pulls nicely.

Keep us posted on your project, and work safe with that tool.

Last edited:
Back