Scored piston?

• Thread starter Deleted member 168049
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically a toss away Poulan Wild Thing, lots of cheap ones around in junk piles.

So is a Husqvarna 45 a clamshell design? The OP’s photos didn’t show up for me for some reason.And is the 45 similar to the Husqvarna 50? Bore and stroke are listed as 42mm x 32mm for the 45 and 44mm x 32mm for the 50...is it too much to assume the difference is just bore size?

I have a relative who owns a 50 and it seems to have held up well, but I’ve never seen “under the hood” to see if it’s a clamshell or how it’s put together otherwise.

I don't think that family of Huslys are clamshells...I've done over several 51's and 55's and they were split case magnesium

It’s a real shame this thread took the turn it did. No one did anything wrong here, it was miss communication from the get go. However, he could have found the same spark we have and become addicted to fixing saws. I hope he comes back with another account and gives it a second go. So to the OP, if you’re reading this, come back, don’t give up, your saw won’t be cheap to fix, but it’s absolutely possible and it will be fun.

I'm new to this site myself but not to forums. If the OP hasn't been part of one before he may not realize the responses you get may be something your not looking for. On the dirt bike forum we are constantly telling people to part there bikes out it's not worth fixing. In all those times I've never seen someone get upset. Once you add up the cost they realize it's not worth it.

Although the posts attempting to explain and placate did contain helpful info, the piling on part suuuuuuuuucked.

Back up just a little and put you ego on hold. He’s not knocking you or your machine, he’s just trying to tell you that it’s a disposable machine that you may or may not be able to fix or find parts for . Having been a part of this forum for a while now, the knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge is what keeps me here, and I’ve learned a bunch from these guys over the yrs! I have the same saw sitting in my garage right now that I can’t find parts for so it’s shelved until a suitable saw shows up with the right parts to fix it. Can’t find a piston for it anywhere! Your results may vary but I’ve been doing this for a while now and a guy just has to know when to say uncle, and move on to a more worthy project. Do some research and learn, and listen to the guys who’ve been where you're at right now. Lotsa great guys on this forum, and pioneerguy600 is one of the best! Rant over!
T1

It’s a 45, and yes, it was one of the first generation clam shells.
Thanks for confirming that. The 50 I mentioned before belongs to my stepmother, who cuts firewood for two wood stoves at about 9,000 feet in central CO. She’s probably been running that thing for 20 years or so. Not hardwood, and not real big trees, but that saw has earned its keep and continues to do so (alongside a newer MS170, which she jokes is my dad’s saw. My dad doesn’t really cut the wood.)

Back