Scored pretty good today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
A friend of mine is the property maintenance guy at a local business. He asked if I'd help with some down trees in return for the wood. I said sure, figured even if it was all junk wood, it's still wood, and it's the friendly thing to do.

We got out there this morning, and on the first drive around, there were a couple red oaks, at least one white oak, some cherries, a bunch of elm, and of course some box elder.

(Sorry guys, no on site pics unless I get the owner's OK, don't want to do anything to tick him off.)

We started on a big red oak limb that was blocking a trail, I got the 7300 hung up trying to cut it off the tree, and I had to pull the bar and chain off. First time in a long time I've had to do that, but I'm sure it ain't the last. I was missing my tractor, the pickup couldn't pull the whole limb out of the brush it was in, I had to wade in and cut it out in sections to get it out in the open, but it wasn't bad compared to having to block it up in the blackberry thicket it was laying in!

After that, it went pretty uneventfully, and in 2 1/2 hours round trip, counting goof off time, stuck saw time, and scouting time, I was home with this nice load of red oak:

attachment.php

It was nice to have help, and he enjoys doing this sort of stuff as well. Bonus: he could actually keep the cuts the size I wanted (20" or so), most of my help can't!

He's off tomorrow and Monday, hopefully get back there on Tuesday for another load. I'm betting we can have a load in my driveway in a shade over an hour if we work at it, now that we have a bit of a system.

Nice score. I like the headache rack in the truck too. It would be better with ram horns though.:smile2:

Always nice when you bring home a load of wood like that. Makes the effort worth while

Hedge, it's downright springlike up here, unusual but not u.nheard of. Sure we'll pay for it later.

Tex, why would I wanna put a sheephead on a nice truck like this?

Than?ks iska. Hope you're gettin some wood done while it's nice too.

A friend of mine is the property maintenance guy at a local business. He asked if I'd help with some down trees in return for the wood. I said sure, figured even if it was all junk wood, it's still wood, and it's the friendly thing to do.

We got out there this morning, and on the first drive around, there were a couple red oaks, at least one white oak, some cherries, a bunch of elm, and of course some box elder.

(Sorry guys, no on site pics unless I get the owner's OK, don't want to do anything to tick him off.)

We started on a big red oak limb that was blocking a trail, I got the 7300 hung up trying to cut it off the tree, and I had to pull the bar and chain off. First time in a long time I've had to do that, but I'm sure it ain't the last. I was missing my tractor, the pickup couldn't pull the whole limb out of the brush it was in, I had to wade in and cut it out in sections to get it out in the open, but it wasn't bad compared to having to block it up in the blackberry thicket it was laying in!

After that, it went pretty uneventfully, and in 2 1/2 hours round trip, counting goof off time, stuck saw time, and scouting time, I was home with this nice load of red oak:

attachment.php

It was nice to have help, and he enjoys doing this sort of stuff as well. Bonus: he could actually keep the cuts the size I wanted (20" or so), most of my help can't!

He's off tomorrow and Monday, hopefully get back there on Tuesday for another load. I'm betting we can have a load in my driveway in a shade over an hour if we work at it, now that we have a bit of a system.
Thought it was my truck for a second there!:smile2:

Chucker, that old Chev is going on it's 24th Wisconsin winter, and it shows it. Before the price of gas went nuts, I drove it most all winter. Lots of rust, but runs like a clock yet, 195,000 on it.

Had some help this morning, so I got it split and stacked. 40 minutes start to finish, stack is 10' by 4' by 20", right at a half cord.

attachment.php

Nice load of wood ya got there. I cut myself some red oak today. First experience with that type. Sure splits nice. Nice job!

I like that splitter... Bet that thing could tell a few stories.

Happy New Years!! Hope next year is better than the past.

Sounds like it might start out a little nasty with the weather on the way.

Iska, WTF? A winter storm warning for 2-4" and some wind? I feel like one of those east coast sissies. I'm headed to the tavern. Hope I don't get snowed in there :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Good score on the wood Steve, When is the rebuild on the splitter going to happen?

Beefie

"Eventually" - but it gets sooner every time I run it and my back reminds me that it's too much bending over. My other top of the list project is almost done, but I'll need the splitter for the foreseeable future, so probably after planting time.

I should start gathering parts now, so I've got it all ready to zap together when it's time to go.

Latest posts

Back