Scratching my head.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHWC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Actually pissed a little. Had scheduled a bid get halfway there and give a courtesy call. Guy says he has a guy that will grind all 120 stumps that he says average 18" a stump for 10 bucks a stump. Also says if I can not beat that I should not bother showing up. Then says he would have called but could not find my number. And this guy also runs his own business, this is how he interacts with other owners.

Anyway enough of the vent.

Has anyone ever heard of grinding that many stumps for 10 bucks a stump? I could not even make money on a job that big with a quote like that after factoring equipment, fuel, labor, etc.

Yeah the guy I occasionally sub to has a ridiculous like 200 horse tow behind. Thing has like a 3 foot wheel on it...... I may be exaggerating a little.

Anyways, If he can get it done in a day it's twelve hundred and that guy banks. He has practically no overhead. He does everything himself including maintenance on the grinder, not a bad setup really. I am pretty sure that guy puts more in the bank than I do in the average year.

don't be too pissed, can't win em all. And at least the customer didn't waste your time cuz he knew you weren't gonna beat his lowest bid.

To some an inch below grade is a ground stump. Maybe he'll call you back when all 120 ground stumps start sprouting again.

Latest posts

Back