Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evenin’ folks. Hauled brush this wknd by hand. Hauled firewood with my Silverado. Split wood with the Speeco wood splitter with Honda repower. Dad cut up wood with his Husq 372XP which ended up having a fuel related problem. I got a free Craftsman lawn tractor. Supposed to get a free JD lawn tractor and free rear tire tiller tomorrow.

Good evenin’ folks. Hauled brush this wknd by hand. Hauled firewood with my Silverado. Split wood with the Speeco wood splitter with Honda repower. Dad cut up wood with his Husq 372XP which ended up having a fuel related problem. I got a free Craftsman lawn tractor. Supposed to get a free JD lawn tractor and free rear tire tiller tomorrow.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Having manifold ala ordinaire for dinner . :laugh: View attachment 1173335
Kitchen appliances are very handy... I recall tearing down a Yamaha motorcycle engine and washing it in the dishwasher when I was a kid... my father's idea at the time. My mother was not amused. 😉

Unfortunately I have no pics of the wood splitter or my dad’s saws. 😭 Here’s the craftsman tho: supposedly it was parked years ago cause it had a fuel related issue as well as an oil leak.

Attachments

• IMG_7992.jpeg
    IMG_7992.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7993.jpeg
    IMG_7993.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Despite appearances the raised beds I built for my girlfriend this weekend did involve a chainsaw... I made them out of double high 2x10s to get them to a more comfortable working height for her. I used the Hulgelkultur Method of filling the first frame... Instead of filling the frame completely with soil there are cut up branches, bark, woody plants and leaves layered up about 2/3 of the way. Then rich garden soil from her old beds was added to the top. Next week we will fill the second bed. Getting the wood for the frames (always an adventure in her local Home Depot) and cutting the parts for her two frames and two others for her daughter took quite a few hours. Assembling the two frames and digging trenches in the slope to level them (square and plumb too! LOL) also took a fair amount of time as the slope was at an inconsistent compound angle. Her kids and her daughter's spouse came today to clean up the yard... this was mostly to collect more branches, woody plants, and leaves. After placing those materials in the first frame the soil from one of the old beds was moved to the better sited new bed. We'll fill the second bed next week... I'm bringing more branch wood and sticks next week. I'm not sure there is enough soil to finish filling the first bed and fill the second so I'll probably have to get a bulk load of compost. When I built the raised beds for my house I made the frames the same way and filled them completely with bulk compost... no soil at all! The local resource recovery agency sells it fairly cheaply in bulk. Their bagged compost would be an expensive way to go at $2.50 per sq. ft. plus tax.

In a few weeks we will plant our gardens with a complementary selection of vegetables... avoiding duplication and sharing so we have a good variety. This arrangement will be much easier than managing the 800 square foot raised bed garden I had years ago! I have to make wire mesh panels to protect my beds however. This as the deer decimated my green beans last year just as they were maturing.

IMG_6707.gif

Ah! Yes! The bacon food group! Bacon paired with any other food, makes the food taste better! Ever had Bacon Ice cream? Yup! It is good too! My saying is that "bacon can even make tofu taste good!" Bacon wrapped tofu sure beats tofu alone. There is a plant not too far from you that cooks bacon. Others in shelby county, IA and Fairbury, NE.
Have you had chocolate covered bacon yet?

Is that treated wood?
Yes. I looked into the wisdom of doing so about 5 years ago when I revived by vegetable gardening. The science says the post 2003 PT chemicals used in the U.S. are safe for such use. Apparently if there was "too much" copper being leached into the soil the plants would die before you'd have anything to eat from the garden. That said, the hardcore organic movement advises against it... which may be more faith than science? Clearly there is still a lot of debate on this issue with some using arguments that became moot for PT produced after 2003... no more arsenic! I see it as a Husky vs. Stihl kind of thing. 😉

Despite appearances the raised beds I built for my girlfriend this weekend did involve a chainsaw... I made them out of double high 2x10s to get them to a more comfortable working height for her. I used the Hulgelkultur Method of filling the first frame... Instead of filling the frame completely with soil there are cut up branches, bark, woody plants and leaves layered up about 2/3 of the way. Then rich garden soil from her old beds was added to the top. Next week we will fill the second bed. Getting the wood for the frames (always an adventure in her local Home Depot) and cutting the parts for her two frames and two others for her daughter took quite a few hours. Assembling the two frames and digging trenches in the slope to level them (square and plumb too! LOL) also took a fair amount of time as the slope was at an inconsistent compound angle. Her kids and her daughter's spouse came today to clean up the yard... this was mostly to collect more branches, woody plants, and leaves. After placing those materials in the first frame the soil from one of the old beds was moved to the better sited new bed. We'll fill the second bed next week... I'm bringing more branch wood and sticks next week. I'm not sure there is enough soil to finish filling the first bed and fill the second so I'll probably have to get a bulk load of compost. When I built the raised beds for my house I made the frames the same way and filled them completely with bulk compost... no soil at all! The local resource recovery agency sells it fairly cheaply in bulk. Their bagged compost would be an expensive way to go at $2.50 per sq. ft. plus tax.

In a few weeks we will plant our gardens with a complementary selection of vegetables... avoiding duplication and sharing so we have a good variety. This arrangement will be much easier than managing the 800 square foot raised bed garden I had years ago! I have to make wire mesh panels to protect my beds however. This as the deer decimated my green beans last year just as they were maturing.

View attachment 1173395

Bruh. You don’t use PT wood for growing food. Please say those aren’t what they look like

Edit. Regardless of what they say it’s not safe for food

I finished taking down that 20" Maple that snapped a few weeks ago in the wind storms. My field is so wet I had to use my logging winch to haul it out to dry ground. Next was chipping up most of the branches, bucking up the tree and off to the woodpile. Lasty was mowing the fields and lawn at the farm. My log hauling video was too long to post. It took 3 trips to move the rounds to the splitting pile.

Attachments

• 20240428_141607.jpg
    20240428_141607.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_142845.jpg
    20240428_142845.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_150423.jpg
    20240428_150423.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_181805.jpg
    20240428_181805.jpg