seasoning cast iron

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always washed my cast iron with soap and water after each use, then rubbed it down with oil. Now I'm reading that this isn't proper and you're supposed to just rinse it off after use. Not using soap seems unsanitary to me. Thoughts?

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I really enjoy cooking outdoors and have a Traeger grill that I use year round, an outdoor kitchen with a large cast iron grill surface and a Lodge charcoal grill. I always wash the cast iron with water and a plastic scrubber while it is still slightly warm. After it is dry I use Crisco to coat the surface and turn on the heat until it just barely smokes then turn it off. If you use Wesson oil or bacon fat or something like that there is a chance that it will turn rancid. You could probably use them if you used the pan regularly but they will spoil if left too long. Just an old Boy Scouts opinion.:popcorn:

Nothing beats a skilletful of panfried potatoes cooked in an old Griswold. Better and cheaper than buying new. $1/inch is the rule of thumb round here. There was a time a while ago when the market was hot and they were commanding top dollar. But that's simmered down for quite some time.

$1 an inch? Bring em over to New York, they are going for at least double that and most times crazy money. I have been hitting a few auctions and i;m convinced that people go just for the griswolds. I preview them, figure what i'll pay and then watch the bidding fly through the roof. Everytime, upstate or down!

$1 an inch? Bring em over to New York, they are going for at least double that and most times crazy money. I have been hitting a few auctions and i;m convinced that people go just for the griswolds. I preview them, figure what i'll pay and then watch the bidding fly through the roof. Everytime, upstate or down!

That's wholesale. Plus also, there are a few stylistic variations that can make some more valuable than others. Not too familiar, but I've seen 2 nearly identical pieces go for vastly different prices.

Sometimes you luck out at auctions. But the low bidder always sets the price and can walk away when it's too rich for his blood.

Aside from what we use ourselves, I don't have any surplus. If I did, I'd offer to ship 'em to you at cost (no unauthorized selling). But the expense of shipping would probably make it just as economical to buy at an auction.

Last edited:
Actually cast iron cookware is really not too expensive even on ebay. If you consider that (properly cared for) it will last for many generations, old Griswold and Wagner pieces (as long as they are not rare) are reasonable. They look a whole lot better if you compare prices of old cast to prices of Le Creuset or decent copper cookware.

Cast iron/ Stoves

Hi Rex, I also use cast iron nearly every day. I just bought a new stove from the local wall mart.It is the single burner buy Coleman. It is a duel fuel but I use unleaded gas in it. This thing is a jewel to use. I can get about 4 hours of cooking time from a tank. I think the model is 533. I also have the standard two burner but this one burner is fun to use, Ken

How about cleaning out your private mail??

Dutch Oven dump cake:

get a good bed of coals going. Line your dutch over with foil. (this makes clean up a breeze). Dump in a big can of peaches. Juice and all. (we use our own canned up, but any store bought can will do) Dump in a can of 7-up. chop and spread out a stick of butter. (margarine for all of us that are already on the meds from the Doc) dump in a box of cake mix, betty crocker, better homes, any kind will do, though dont try the pudding ones, they make yuck. Slap the lid on, stick it in the coals and cover it up. When you smell the peaches and can't stand it no more, its usually done. The cake will have cooked to perfection on top of the peaches. the bottom will be gooey and luscious, the top will be golden brown and have a nice lil crust. Scoop yourself out an bowl and enjoy.

Hot water rinse...
Re-apply bear grease...

Next time you kill a bear, after the burgers, save the grease.

Next time you kill a bear, after the burgers, save the grease.

Keeps the mosquitoes away, too. Probably has the same effect on the wife.

EDIT: posted too quick. I'm pretty sure it's uncooked bear fat that's a repellent, rather than the cooked grease. Don't try until you've checked with a more reputable source for a cheap alternative to deep woods off. :laugh:

Last edited:
Dutch Oven dump cake:

get a good bed of coals going. Line your dutch over with foil. (this makes clean up a breeze). Dump in a big can of peaches. Juice and all. (we use our own canned up, but any store bought can will do) Dump in a can of 7-up. chop and spread out a stick of butter. (margarine for all of us that are already on the meds from the Doc) dump in a box of cake mix, betty crocker, better homes, any kind will do, though dont try the pudding ones, they make yuck. Slap the lid on, stick it in the coals and cover it up. When you smell the peaches and can't stand it no more, its usually done. The cake will have cooked to perfection on top of the peaches. the bottom will be gooey and luscious, the top will be golden brown and have a nice lil crust. Scoop yourself out an bowl and enjoy.

I guess I gotta go get a dutch oven now. I've given a dutch oven, but never gotten one.

Use Equal, instead of sugar in your hummingbird feeder.

Is Equal contraindicated with YAZ???? She is an Obama Catholic, with a
oppressive Rosary...........

Gets hung up on the rose bushes....... Very sad..... A lot of repressed guilt...

How is my grammar????

Is Equal contraindicated with YAZ???? She is an Obama Catholic, with a
oppressive Rosary...........

Gets hung up on the rose bushes....... Very sad..... A lot of repressed guilt...

How is my grammar????

What kind of chicken is the cat watching?....................

The only YAZ I'm familiar with played for the Red Sox.Won the triple crown in 1967,last man to do it by the way.

I think your grammar is adequate,how do you feel about it?

I noticed a few days ago that the "mean wife" had been removed from your sig.I'm glad she's not "mean" anymore.

Latest posts

Back