Seasoning Fire... How many?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues in Fire,

So I've been re-reading my insert's manual and it says to 'season' the insert with a break-in fire. Essentially, a smaller fire that you damp down as soon as the cast-iron gets warm to the touch.

Now the question: While I totally agree that a break-in fire is essential to proper use and protection of an insert,

How many break-in fires are necessary to get the system ready to really light up?

I don't have an insert; but when seasoning any kind of steel; typically a single fire for around 3 hours at 250-300F is sufficient to season the metal and bake on the paint (and get rid of any paint odors).

KRS

I would do 3 and have each slightly hotter and longer then the last. :cheers:

That's exactly what I did with my soapstone stove, worked fine. One of the reasons you need to burn seasoning fires in a new stove/insert is some of the newer stove cements need low gradual heat to fully cure and adhere.

Ok. Great! but then, can I do two in one day? Say start a small break-in fire in the AM and then repeat at night?

I did one last night and then left too early this AM to get another one done.

Thanks for the input! I've got soapstone liner too. It was neat to see the water 'cook off' the stone. I'm assuming it was from the cutting/polishing process.

:greenchainsaw:

Back