Second cherry log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyR

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I milled the clearest/straightest of the cherry logs. They look pretty good. Had a little trouble with some waviness which was initially my fault and then later the blade was dull but I only had 1 more cut to go...All in all I think they'll plane out ok. They're all 5-6/4 and one about 8/4, 12.5" wide by 7.5' long. I need to go back and get what I can from the slabs tomorrow.

I also have one short log from the base of the tree which I haven't decided whether or not to mill. It had quite a bend in it.

Whew, this is hard work-but I'm starting to get a pretty nice stack of boards:)

Last edited:
Nice work Andy. You are right-it is hard work but the payoff is well worth it. I've been milling with my RipSaw for a year + and still learn something new every time I work at it. It gets easier as I get more experience.

Another cherry tree that won't get cut up into firewood and burned... or worse, dumped into a landfill to just rot. Good job.

Thanks guys.

I'm learning a lot by "doing".

I don't know how sawyers do it. I would want to keep it all and turn into something. Maybe it's being at an early stage in my milling or maybe it's the "artist" in me, but the raw material, in itself, is so fascinating. I don't think I could sell any.

I suppose, as it accumulates, a person will keep the more special pieces for their own use...

One of these days I'll get into the big walnut logs I have—though I might have to build a new shed to dry it in first:)

Keep saw'in, and post lots o' pictures!
Andy

Yep, some of the boards are "special", and unless it's utility grade stuff, I have a hard time using it for "goof-off" projects like shop jigs or places where pine would normally suffice.

It is kind of an addiction, but one with a good payoff.

Mark

I also have one short log from the base of the tree which I haven't decided whether or not to mill. It had quite a bend in it.

This thread is from quite a ways back, but I thought I'd finish it off. I milled the short, curved log from the base of this cherry tree today. It had sat over the winter and was in the way of my new garden/raised bed that I'm putting in, so it was time. It has a good curve so I cut it thick, 2.5 (3 slabs) and 3 inches (one slab). I'll let them sit for a good while and see how much they want to warp. Some pretty wood in there though. Never did find what was causing that blue stain in the second pic.

Thanks guys.

I'm learning a lot by "doing".

I don't know how sawyers do it. I would want to keep it all and turn into something. Maybe it's being at an early stage in my milling or maybe it's the "artist" in me, but the raw material, in itself, is so fascinating. I don't think I could sell any.

I suppose, as it accumulates, a person will keep the more special pieces for their own use...

One of these days I'll get into the big walnut logs I have—though I might have to build a new shed to dry it in first:)

Keep saw'in, and post lots o' pictures!
Andy

Great lookin lumber AndyR, I am in the process of milling some cherry also. Got a few with some curve in them also, comming up to do. I have learned alot from the good folks on these forums, but the best learning comes from "doing" as you say. Im finding that out now. My brother in law once asked me how I learned to run a combine? I told him, I just got in it, and started doing it! LOL No better teacher! Hopefully, someday, WE will have the experiance to pass on to other newbies on here.

Love the pics!

Gregg

Nice lookin wood...

Great job on the raised bed too!!!

Great job on the raised bed too!!!

Hey thanks,
I've been turning the pegs for the tenons a few each night. Here are a couple of pics of the finished corners.

I really like doing this stuff...Maybe some day I'll be able to try a small timber frame building.

Latest posts

Back