Second milling(Camphor)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danieltree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted some cherry yesterday and was pleased with how it came out. Well today I decided that I was ready for this camphor log I have been packing around for about three years now. I am glad I held onto it. I only had time to do a couple of slabs because of the saints game and then my being on baby duty tonight.​
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I admire the way your wife lets you store your fresh cut lumber in the living room. You've married the right gal that's for sure.

Camphor is one of my favorite woods. It will tone down substantially in drying but it will still have great contrast and grain. The vibrant reds tend to go towards the brownish reds with orange highlights. I have had the best luck in retaning color by planing the dry wood and imidiately sealing the freshly planed/sanded boards with water based poly. I then cut to finish size, do joinery and assymble the prefinished boards and follow with a more compleate finish of the project. The wood has so much oil in it that it oxadizes within a day or two and that dulls the colors. Oil finishes will really muddy things up and lacquers tend to yellow even faster on camphor than on other woods.

Beautiful boards, they should go nicely in a project mixed with that cherry. Camphor also goes nicely with walnut.

danieltree, where are you located in Covington. I'm in Covington too.
Where did you get the camphor log. I've never seen one around here unless it goes by another name? Cherry is my all time favorite wood. Always on the lookout for some. It's just a hobby for me though. And, geaux Saints.

Latest posts

Back