Second opinion on Poinciana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Gents, I value your input, especially those with experience of poincianas

Sorry for the picture sizes...
I went to see this tree today, the owner is concerned about the huge limb that heads off to the left in the first picture
I looked at it and saw bark wrinkles (fibre buckling...?) on the underside of the big limb, and a definite 'peak' on the top side, together with some obvious enlargement splits in the bark at the base of the trunk on the butresses. The main division in the trunk is a nice wide angle, but there is a pocket catching water on one side.
However...Poinciana trees regularly exhibit puckers and bark splits as they adjust to the massive weight of the extended limbs.

This tree went through a category 3 hurricane three years ago (120mph) and a cat. 1 this September (80-90mph) None of the splits or puckers are fresh. It is in a sheltered location with no root disturbance
I have initially recommended some weight reduction on the branch ends, deadwooding, and monitoring of the tree.

My question, have I missed anything obvious to you? Any additional recommendations you would make?
This tree MAKES this garden, it's value to the property is immense, shade, privacy, pure beauty in the summer with the flowers.

Thanks all,
Fiona

poinciana

I agree - it's in their nature to be horizontal - even very young trees display this growth habit. If the tree were mine, I'd do a 10% reduction on the most horizontal limb and follow your recommendations regarding future checkups.

Post us a pic when it's in bloom - must be spectacular!!

Thanks for the replies,

Yes those are swings in the tree, they have been there a very long time and the upper fastenings are buried in the branch.
Funny you should mention propping, I was considering that as well! I'll check that site for sure.

I was going to wait a few weeks till most of the leaves dropped off before doing the reduction, all the poincianas on the Island put out a second flush after the hurricane, so I've delayed a few jobs to allow the trees to store all that good stuff before cutting them!

Thanks everyone, any more???:greenchainsaw:

Good on you Fiona, scientific name can clarify things greatly.

Whether or not jeff can clarify zone 24 (the equator?) who knows.

Here in zone - 'Middle of the Atlantic' -32N/64W - Bird of Paradise is Strelitzia regina

Its all good:cheers: :biggrinbounce2: Uh oh you've got me started with the botanical name thing!

Zones??

My really big (4' x 4') Zone map goes from Zone 1 to Zone 11 - nothing higher. 1 is arctic and 11 is tropics. Is your Zone referencing a heat zone rather than a cold zone??

sorry to be so dumb

I'm totally unfamiliar with this system. Can you give me a website where I can learn more about this system? Thanks.

Kate Butler said:
I'm totally unfamiliar with this system. Can you give me a website where I can learn more about this system? Thanks.

Ditto - I've not come across climate zones before either
See how much we can learn from each other!

Thanks for you input everyone:heart:

climate zones

Well, if it's from Sunset, then you know it must be commercial as all get out. They're not a private garden center, they're book/lifestyle publishers with a serious lock on HD and Lowes DIY books.

According to them, I'm in Zone 44, the same as Montreal and I can guaran-damn-tee you that not everything that grows in Montreal will grow where I do my growing.

Probably more reliable in warmer areas. I'll stick with the USDA hardiness and heat index maps, thank you very much.:cheers:

Back