Second saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreb12

Stihl Addicted
Reaction score
I am curious about a second saw. Just picked up my first saw of my own, bought an ms261 cm with a 20 inch bar brand new. Doing some clean up at my parents house(where I'll be living for another year or two). We have quite a few large trees as there's about 12 acres of all wood and almost all of the fallen trees are pretty large. Mostly cutting for firewood and bringing to the yard to split. Looking to get another saw, used for the least money that will turn a 32" bar in hardwood well. Also want to stay in the same brand so mostly focused on stihls. I don't need the saw right away but I want to keep my eye open for a deal on Craigslist or here. Any input would be great!

I'm guessing that there's gonna be a fair number of guys selling saws to upgrade to the 462. A 462 would be a great option also, but you should be able to score an 044/440/441, 046/460/461, or a 660/661 for a decent price in the next year. For a 32" bar in hardwood, a 460 would be okay. A ported 460 would be better, and a 90cc would be better still. The 90cc saws aren't as viable as your only saw larger than a 50cc though, since they're pretty darned heavy. If you want a dedicated long bar saw, a 660 would be a good choice. If you want something to cut a lot of firewood in a hurry with a 20" bar and be able to pull a 32" when needed, a 460 is a better call.

I like 044 a lot light and plenty of power. With a few mods they are pretty nasty. Love my brothers 044 10mm.

It's available in Germany now. As far as when it'll get here and how much it's gonna cost, it's all speculation so far. In Germany, it seems to be priced a few bucks cheaper than the 461, but who knows if that will carry over. The specs and videos seem really awesome. There's a thread or two on it here and at OPEforum.

Is there a significant difference between a 046, 460, and 461?

They're all rubber mounted saws rather than spring mounted. They all use the same type of air filter. The 046 is a little less choked up from the factory, and early ones had some more aggressive timing numbers, but in general they're all kinda similar. A 460 or 461 can have the muffler opened up and be very good saws.

They're all rubber mounted saws rather than spring mounted. They all use the same type of air filter. The 046 is a little less choked up from the factory, and early ones had some more aggressive timing numbers, but in general they're all kinda similar. A 460 or 461 can have the muffler opened up and be very good saws.
461 is rubber av? My early 441 is spring.

Back