securing the end of your carabiner knot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amhst56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have seen a couple people secure the tail end of there split tail of the carabiner knot with electrical tape and just leave it tied that way.

just saw a pic of somw kind of thread wrapped 30 times around the ebd instead of the tape.

looks alot better, what is that called and does anyone know where instuctions are for that?

thanks all!

I believe it's called whipping. It's way overkill, IMO, and adds zero security.

Just melt the ends of the rope with a soldering iron to keep it from unraveling as you'd do with the end of any rope.

Just melt the ends of the rope with a soldering iron to keep it from unraveling as you'd do with the end of any rope.

thx for the quick reply.
i was thinking it take the place of a half hitch or figure 8 as a safety precaution.

or is that just to keep it out of the way?

what knot do u use on your carabiner and what do u do with the tail?

thx again

thx for the quick reply.
i was thinking it take the place of a half hitch or figure 8 as a safety precaution.

or is that just to keep it out of the way?

what knot do u use on your carabiner and what do u do with the tail?

thx again

I use a spliced tress cord and the end of the climbing line get an anchor hitch on the biner.

For years I climbed with a bowline with figure 8 on the tail and english prusik. I just set the knot and checked it now and then, as you should check your gear when climbing anyway. Never once killed myself.
It was perfect for advancing a line when ascending, easy to tie/untie and being a bare end would never got caught in a tight fork unlike an eye or a knot on a biner.
Then I came to Oz and found that apparently bowlines can be dangerous...

Tried different termination knots cinched to a biner and a hitch climber setup and then just went with spliced eyes, so much easier and, as said above, tidier and more compact. Pulling a cinched knot and biner through forks is asking for a snag, tying and untying cinched knots can be a pain, eyes just make life easier every time

For years I climbed with a bowline with figure 8 on the tail and english prusik. I just set the knot and checked it now and then, as you should check your gear when climbing anyway. Never once killed myself.
It was perfect for advancing a line when ascending, easy to tie/untie and being a bare end would never got caught in a tight fork unlike an eye or a knot on a biner.
Then I came to Oz and found that apparently bowlines can be dangerous...

Tried different termination knots cinched to a biner and a hitch climber setup and then just went with spliced eyes, so much easier and, as said above, tidier and more compact. Pulling a cinched knot and biner through forks is asking for a snag, tying and untying cinched knots can be a pain, eyes just make life easier every time

thanks for the reply

my next line will have an eye in it, but for now, will be tying.
just curious what carabiner knot u liked the best before u bought your spliced eye and why?

thanks

I tried a bowline and scaffold knot/double fisherman which was better. You have to undo the knot/biner to get it through a tight fork so went to an end splice pretty quickly. It's also much quicker and easier to set up or change anchor point with my friction savers

If you tie a figure of eight knot & if it's polyester a hot knife or soldering iron, cut the protruding end to about 1/2inch heat to almost melting & tap with a piece of flat steel to swell out the end to larger than the rope diameter.

If you tie a figure of eight knot & if it's polyester a hot knife or soldering iron, cut the protruding end to about 1/2inch heat to almost melting & tap with a piece of flat steel to swell out the end to larger than the rope diameter.

I like the 'swelling out the end' idea Al. I'll give it a try.

Back