seeking advise: theft prevention of log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or try these...

XLT%20TONGUE%202.jpeg

Fulton-TK100-Gorilla-Guard-Trailer-Keeper-Lock.jpg

2838w-on-trailer-lock-end.jpg

In order from top to bottom...
XTL Alarmed trailer lock
Fulton TK100 Gorilla Guard™ Trailer Keeper Lock
Big Red Lock

actually, my second thought was to cement a few metal eye-bolts in-ground to secure it....but portability is essential, so perma-mounting would be unproductive....shoot!!!

I have done this in the past to chain a go cart to. We had to remove it a few years later. I can tell you it was not easy digging and moving that 500lb chunk of concreet out of the ground.

they sell small door/window alarms that at battery operated. when the magnetic seal is broken, it emits a loud annoying squeal.

you can mount this underneath with one side attached to the splitter, and the other attached to a line anchored to the ground. when the splitter is moved and the alarm halfs seperate, the sound will drive any one off.

this alarm is small...maybe about an inch and operates on a watch battery, and believe me...it's loud. there are many electronic anti-theft devices on the market these days.

I chain mine up with a good size chain that is buried in concrete. I dug a hole, dropped part of the chain in the hole, and dropped in two bags of redi mix.
Then lock the splitter to the chain with a theft resistant lock. I lost the key some time ago to mine, and I spent an hour trying to get that lock busted off with a sledge hammer. My bolt cutters couldnt cut the chain or the lock, and after pounding on the lock till i was exhausted I gave up. Called a buddy who came over with a gas powered cut off saw.
I rest easy at night now.:cheers:

I chain mine up with a good size chain that is buried in concrete. I dug a hole, dropped part of the chain in the hole, and dropped in two bags of redi mix.
Then lock the splitter to the chain with a theft resistant lock. I lost the key some time ago to mine, and I spent an hour trying to get that lock busted off with a sledge hammer. My bolt cutters couldnt cut the chain or the lock, and after pounding on the lock till i was exhausted I gave up. Called a buddy who came over with a gas powered cut off saw.
I rest easy at night now.:cheers:

Good idea!

I use a Master Lock trailer lock for mine, the ball slides up into the hitch and can't be towed away and it is too damn heavy to carry away.

Nothing's foolproof, but first thing I tell all of my customers to do is to take the the hitch off the splitter. Two bolts and it's off. It's a lot harder to steal a splitter when you can't just hook it up and tow it away.

I use a Master Lock trailer lock for mine, the ball slides up into the hitch and can't be towed away and it is too damn heavy to carry away.

One of these two are all you need too do. I personally like Spikes idea best, just removing the hitch hood. That way when someone wants to borrow it......you just can't seem too find that dang hitch :hmm3grin2orange:

PS: if theres anyone out there willing too carry it away, he can have it, He needs it more than me :cheers:

Tie a piece of fishing line from the splitter through a window to your finger every night you are asleep. when you are away find somebody to stand guard over it with a loaded gun. It's really the only 100% guarantee it wont get stolen.

Shoot shovel and shut up!:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
One of these two are all you need too do. I personally like Spikes idea best, just removing the hitch hood. That way when someone wants to borrow it......you just can't seem too find that dang hitch :hmm3grin2orange:

PS: if theres anyone out there willing too carry it away, he can have it, He needs it more than me :cheers:

anyone who can carry it away I don't want to mess with anyhow not without a bazooka

I think the best defence is 'out of sight, out of mind' If they can't see it, they won't know it's there. After that, grade 7 or 9 chain? Alloy padlock? Something they'd need a cut-off saw to get through.

scribe some numbers underneath it...maybe a birth date or something like that. and take pictures of the splitter.

that way, if it's ever stolen and recovered, you can prove you're the owner.

OK, I'm thinking a combination of great ideas:
Best: Out of sight, out of mind. Since I'm on a variably sloped lot, maybe I'll dig into the steepest embankment, and make a U-shaped retaining wall, maybe 8 deep, 5 wide,3 tall, complete with roof for winter storage, and heck, while I'm at it, add a front door with a lock.... hmmm, maybe that'll do it!

In the meantime, I'll remove the towing coupler, and scribe my drivers license number or something in a remote spot, tack weld mounting bolts/nuts for engine, and use my unknown grade chain and generic lock to an 8 inch Bay tree to discourage the petty theives, then go in for a beer and relax.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

anyone who can carry it away I don't want to mess with anyhow not without a bazooka

hang around the biker scene....

I have seen on many occasions 2 bikers pick up a full size Harley in their arms & load on a pickup sometimes struggling sometimes easily.. even seen a couple guys pick up a full size Harley by themselves without help.

yes I have helped do when it was 3 or 4 people never tried with only 2 my back hurts all the time for so much stupid stuff I did when I was younger.

one of my friends & his brother put a 350 chevy V8 engine in a 1974 Camaro just 2 guys no lift. he was supposed to borrow my lift & I was using doing an engine job & told him to give me a few hours. I saw them do it & still cant believe it.

so maybe not easy. but 1 or more strong people you never know......

Later,
Randy

Try protecting a shiny new Harley from the thieves. I just make sure it's insured for replacement value. And my brand new splitter is covered under my homeowners policy. Use a good brand hitch lock. Keep the serial numbers on file.

Ok take a steel plate fasten one wire of a 110 to it and the other to the splitter so when they touch it bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz thief zapper :laugh:

but thats not leagle youd go to jail before the theif would lol

Latest posts

Back