seeking search advice for a C&D chipper...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Mitts & Merrill K-12 gas chipper. I've done lots of research and repairs on mine. If I can help you please contact me. By the way K-12 or K-16 refers to the drum width. The drum on these machines is made of multiple identical slabs of steel indexed to diferent positions. 3 cutters per slab. They are pressed when heated on a keyed and cross pinned shaft. The K-12 has 3 slabs (9 cutters) aproximately 4 inches thick. The K-16 has 4 (12 cutters). My K-12 has a Ford in line 6 gas engine. It is the most comon size and modle to my knowledge. I have seen 4 cylinders (early ones used the NAA Ford tractor engine) I-6 and V-8. Seems they used Ford engines until deisil took over. They are a desired unit because the staggered drum design causes far less vibration. Models with the torq converter are rare due to that being an up grade. So a K-16 with V-8 and torq converter would have been a top dog delux modle back in the day. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I will contact you. So I have a k-12, with the ford 300. Im changing out cutters-knives. I need 9 as you have stated. Correct? Is it difficult to change them out? I've never opened chipper up yet to see cutters. It does not seem that difficult. Thanks again

Back