selling a chainsaw to a 13 year old boy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, at first i was hesitant to even consider selling a chainsaw to a young boy. Then I thought about it and I was cutting wood with my dad, actually trying to run a chainsaw when I was 6 years old. Had help from dad, but cutting wood just the same. The boy is my first cousins son and has been raised as a worker. I know my cousin will be with him when they are in the woods so I am pretty sure he will be watching.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I was looking for parts saw to fix my FIL old husky 55. I ran across a really good running 55 for $125 so I jumped on it and bought it. I took it to the saw shop and they installed a new gas line and fine tuned the carb. $9.97 total, so I had $135 in a dang good saw. Well, that same week my cousin called and asked if I knew where he could find a good small saw for his son. Looking for a 50 or 51 size huskey. Well how about a good 55. So they came up and tried the saw out in my wood pile. I had just put a razor sharpening on the saw and it was making the chips fly. I love when folks want to try their saw out in my wood pile. I get tons of bucked rounds for my stove. Everybody is welcome to try their saws out in my wood pile. Back on subject, they tried out the saw and liked it so I sold it to them for exactly what I had in it. I watched the boy run the saw and gave him a few tips, but turning a 13yrold loose with a saw still bothered me. This week, I ran across a new pair of Husky chaps (cheap)and picked them up. I called my cousin up and told him to drop by the house as I had something to give to his son. Turns out its the boys birthday this week so perfect timing for a gift of safety.

Only thing bad about all this is I am still looking for a good parts saw to fix my fil's old 55. My FIL passed away in 1996, but bought the saw new in 1994. It had been abused by his nephews before I got it from them. It has sat in my basement for nearly 20 years. I dont need the saw, but my wife wants it running again, so there you go. She says its her saw, even though she would never run it.

I say good on you! I was raised on a farm and it was a necessity to learn how to use tools and run equipment at an earlier age than most. I believe you have to take it on a person by person basis. Aside from all of that you getting the boy some chaps is icing on the cake. Good luck with the parts saw search btw.

It's family so I suppose you know them well. Outside of family I would be sure to be selling the saw to his father, going as far as him handing me the money and me handing him the saw. If he decides to let his son run the saw after that it is his business. It's too bad we live in a society today where everything can become a law suit.

Actually, the mother paid for the saw. The boy has been running his dads 372 and just needed something easier to handle. He's a big boy to. Sometimes it is hard for some folks to even fanthom a youngen running a chains saw. In this day and age, there are plenty of grownups that shouldnt get anywhere near a chainsaw. To me, there is a lot of difference in a 13year old farm boy that has been in the woods with his dad and granddad, cutting wood ever since he could walk, and selling a saw to a teenager that stays in his house playing video games everyday. The boy is already selling firewood and making his own money, how many city boys do you see out trying to make any money on their own. Most now days have been raised to believe they are entitiled to what ever their parents will give them and they carry those beliefs all the way to the Bernie rallies.

/
I took it to the saw shop and they installed a new gas line and fine tuned the carb. $9.97 total

Good story. Can't help but comment on the saw shop expense. In my neck of the wood you can not walk through the door for less then $20. Your above repair at my local shop would have easily shot a $50 bill.

I was rather cautious for my age and started with a Husky 41 at age 11. I'd say you did a good thing provided the boy follows his parents advice on when he can and cannot run the saw.

That pair of chaps was the best gift you could possibly give the young man. :)

At that tender age, we don't always focus like we should. Safety training and guidance are paramount.

That is a really good story, how the op handled the situation was perfect. While you may not think about this much again as time passes, for that boy the memory of buying his first saw and trying it out in your wood pile will be permantly etched in his mind. Getting a good deal on his saw and advice from a family member is what families do best. Not many 13y/olds can make money out of their hobbies, its hard not to encourage that.

My son was cutting @ 12, his son loves to use my 024 Super @ 10 yrs. old. Great story.

You set up the young man with chaps which is great. What for hearing protection does he have?

You set up the young man with chaps which is great. What for hearing protection does he have?
I hadn't thought about it but you bring up a good point. I remember running a old Poland when I was young, if you turned your head just right, it would actually make your ears vibrate. The husky 55 isn't a loud saw but hearing protection should be used with it. Don't now how his dad is on the subject, but I bet momma can be convinced.

Latest posts

Back