Selling Firewood For Side Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLMCRZY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I didnt know where to post this so i figured this would be the best section.

We are in need of some extra cash ive gotten laid off and im fixing to go to school during the week. My girlfriend is doing everything she can to keep the bills paid. Once i graduate school we will be set but its the 8 weeks til that, that is killing us.

Anyways, I know i do not have great equipment but i figured i would start cutting smaller trees until i can get a bigger saw and rebuild the husky in my sig. I will just list the questions i have to make it easier on all of you

1. How much wood is a cord?
2. I do not have property to cut trees down, where can i find some?
3. Im very very nervous about felling bigger trees, i know the concept but still nervous. Should i worry about it that much?
4. How much do i sell a cord of wood or even a small bundle?
5. Where do i sell it? We leave in kind of a retirement community with alot of weekend homes.
6. What is the best firewood any species?
7. Do i have to split it?

If yall could answer the 7 questions that would help me out a TON.

1. a cord of wood is 4'X4'X8'
2. I don't know about your area but i just get a permit from the forest service
3. work on smaller trees first until your comfortable
4. I have been selling cords for $150 but as soon as it gets cold that can go all the way up to $250
5. I don't know
6. Everyone in my area prefers tamarack. any hardwood species is better
7. If you split it charge a little more

Thanks that helps quite a bit. Where do you sell your firewood? On the side of the road at farmers market.

Basically my 2 biggest challenges is finding the wood and knowing where to sell it.

Right now I have about 6 customers that have ordered 4 to 5 cords each. Between them and myself stay pretty busy. Usually someone sees my truck full of wood and asks "are you selling wood?" I just started out getting wood for my wifes grandmother.

Craigslist to sell wood, or posters around town. Yeah big trees are dangerous and you should be nervous, start small. Around here people want red fir, tamarack, sometimes birch, if you on the other coast I have no idea. Sell for about 150 if you can, offer to stack the wood too so that you beat the competition. Better build some good racks for your pickup if you are selling full cords. Yeah get yourself an 8 lb. maul you'll get the hang of splitting wood aim for the corners, look for pitch seams in the wood. It is illegal to sell wood cut from forest service land according to your contract.

Just my experience, hope to help
Mike

Try calling a few land scapers/gardeners in your area. Recently one of my friend called me to help him cut up a tree for firewood and he got the tree "free" from his gardener

You see, because out here in So.Cal burning firewood is not all that popular unless you live in the mountains, most of the newer homes are build with gas fireplace (it's a joke).

His gardener told him that it costs him money to dispose a tree because he has to lawfully dumping it in county's land fill.

As far as where to sell it, consider post an AD in Craigslist with pictures. C.O.D. would be my choice.

Just food for thought.

Thanks that helps quite a bit. Where do you sell your firewood? On the side of the road at farmers market.

Basically my 2 biggest challenges is finding the wood and knowing where to sell it.

Last edited:
If you start now you will make $ in 2 years(unless you get standing dead).
DON'T SELL GREEN WOOD!
It won't burn.
You can find wood from tree services,just call them and you don't have to drop a tree.
Look on craigslist for free wood.
Bundles are usually .3/4 CU FT.(here).
Mark
P.S. Get your AX in gear!

Last edited:
Do you have a demand for wood in Texas? I wouldn't think it gets cold enough to sell wood. I don't sell wood but go through alot for my wifes grandmother. I ask tree companies that are local and escavating companies. Start now and let the wood sit until next year, it will be too green to burn and you will have upset customers. Good luck with your adventure. It's worth a try.

I would suggest finding an established firewood dealer and go to work for him as a subcontractor. Advantages would include:

You're not taking away his hard-earned customers.

He'll take care of the marketing/customers, etc.

If you need help with felling or whatever, he'll be there.

It looks like you only need 8 weeks or so income, then maybe be out of the business. You'll make nothing in that short time.

You'll be a sub, not a business with associated tax stuff, insurance, etc.

Just my opinion! :confused:

It looks like you only need 8 weeks or so income, then maybe be out of the business. You'll make nothing in that short time.

Yep. You need a McJob, not a firewood business. I know it looks like easy, quick money, but it's not.

I looked on craigslist last night and their is tons of people selling firewood. Yes it does get pretty cold down here in Tx but not as cold as up north of course. Alot of people use it for cooking alot down here especially if its mesquite. I guess what i can do is post an ad on craigslist asking if any firewood business needs help, in the mean time i can cut up some small stuff sell a bundle and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help!

well, one thing is for sure, you will make more money selling firewood in 8 weeks than you will doing nothing, even if you sell one stack @ $5.. there, you made more than doing nothing!

since you are only tryin to do it for a couple months, theres no way to have any seasoned wood, so really your only bet is to see if anyone wants a bunch of green wood at a discounted price.
split wood sells for more of course, but you dont "have" to split it, i sell lots of unsplit logs to people with splitters who burn 10 cord a year, and then other guys who just want a cord to bust up with their buddies while they drink beers and see who can swing harder, it takes all kinds

not sure what kinds of wood grows down there.. but really hardwood is what people want. oaks, hickories, ash, locust, etc
as far as selling the bundles/stacks.. just make your stacks bigger than others and blow the competition out of the water... some of these guys are basically trying to sell ONE 18" round of wood (split into 8 pieces) for $5-8, its ridiculous.. if i had a place to put stacks out on the side of the road, they would be $5 and $10 (who wants to be fishing around for a 5 .. then 3 singles?) and much bigger than these other fools who want $10 for one piece of wood

Last edited:
You've got a point atleast im trying to make some money! I have got 5 acres to go nuts with tomorrow at my girlfriend's Mom's house. Bunch of dead trees that have fell over. I have another buddy that just called and said come over whenever i have got a bunch of trees to cut down. So far its looking good i can see making a little bit of money. Im going to get friskars splitting axe and split some wood as well most like the dead stuff that is cured already.

I also put a ad on craigslist as a "chainsaw Operator" someone has replied so hopefully ill be receiving a call very soon!
Thanks everyone for the replys!

You've got a point atleast im trying to make some money! I have got 5 acres to go nuts with tomorrow at my girlfriend's Mom's house. Bunch of dead trees that have fell over. I have another buddy that just called and said come over whenever i have got a bunch of trees to cut down. So far its looking good i can see making a little bit of money. Im going to get friskars splitting axe and split some wood as well most like the dead stuff that is cured already.

I also put a ad on craigslist as a "chainsaw Operator" someone has replied so hopefully ill be receiving a call very soon!
Thanks everyone for the replys!

sounds like you already have a pretty decent supply of trees lined up to get you going
those fiskars super splitters are awesome, they relly do work great for a hand splitter, anything bigger than say 18" diameter , depending on the species, just noodle down the middle about 1/2 - 3/4 way through the log,, then stand it back up and then they are easy as hell to break by fiskars, 1 swing per piece, no getting axe stuck in log and tryin to yank it out like you would if you didnt noodle first
craigslist has done me well in the past, met a few weirdos here and therre, but thats normal i guess... good luck with everything

Last edited:
good for you being willing to work

puts you ahead of about 1/2 the world

if you need a part time job another thing to check out is a paper route i helped a friend out when his mom passed and i subbed for him found out he made more than i expected. i do 2 routes each morning takes me about 3 hours i drive 200 miles i clear about 22 bucks every 4 weeks take out 250 for gas and repairs its till a great part time job that leave me able to be with my kids as well as work my regular clients xmas i'll make 2-3 k in tips.

sounds like you already have a pretty decent supply of trees lined up to get you going
those fiskars super splitters are awesome, they relly do work great for a hand splitter, anything bigger than say 18" diameter , depending on the species, just noodle down the middle about 1/2 - 3/4 way through the log,, then stand it back up and then they are easy as hell to break by fiskars, 1 swing per piece, no getting axe stuck in log and tryin to yank it out like you would if you didnt noodle first
craigslist has done me well in the past, met a few weirdos here and therre, but thats normal i guess... good luck with everything
Ya i think ill be busy for the next few days atleast. Yes i want the fiskars seems like no one in town sells it though. Ill probably order one off baileys when i can cut loose with some cash. Appreciate the help.
puts you ahead of about 1/2 the world

if you need a part time job another thing to check out is a paper route i helped a friend out when his mom passed and i subbed for him found out he made more than i expected. i do 2 routes each morning takes me about 3 hours i drive 200 miles i clear about 22 bucks every 4 weeks take out 250 for gas and repairs its till a great part time job that leave me able to be with my kids as well as work my regular clients xmas i'll make 2-3 k in tips.
I hate sitting at home are yard is perfect since thats what i do when im sitting at home. Another thing it just bothers me making her do all the work and i dont do much. I will have the house clean, dinner, laundry, etc. when she gets home but to me that isnt what a man is supposed to do. After the 8 weeks is up i told her that she will no longer work and just go to school full time, by then i will be able to handle all the bills.

Good for you for trying to get out there and do something. I second what some of the other guys have said about not selling green wood and maybe getting a regular job too. "Chainsaw Operator" on craigslist has me thinking the super cheap are going to try to get you to do all sorts of crazy stuff. Like dropping trees next to structures, etc. Don't get caught up in anthing wild for the short money. And don't do anything you are not covered by insurance to do.

I will have the house clean, dinner, laundry, etc. when she gets home but to me that isnt what a man is supposed to do.

well on the other hand, you could be sitting in your recliner, drunk, in your underwear, asking "whats for dinner" as she walks in the door from work at night..
there is nothing wrong with a guy cooking and cleaning...
i love cooking.. if i could do anything, id own my own little spot and cook all day.. i also love chainsaws.. cooking/ cleaningdoesnt make you any less of a man, and chainsaws dont make you more of one :)

well on the other hand, you could be sitting in your recliner, drunk, in your underwear, asking "whats for dinner" as she walks in the door from work at night..
there is nothing wrong with a guy cooking and cleaning...
i love cooking.. if i could do anything, id own my own little spot and cook all day.. i also love chainsaws.. cooking/ cleaningdoesnt make you any less of a man, and chainsaws dont make you more of one :)

Totally understand but to me i think the man should be out working late not the woman.

Back