Selling out - Value of equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O M G. Shaun, u are so right! All I have been dealing with are tire kickers and dreamers. :bang:
Then, out of the blue, a guy will call, quick to the point, no bartering, they come, pay me and leave. These are guys who know what they are looking at and don't plan on leaving my place with out what ever they came to look at.

Good luck AP, I thought I had a guy, in the beginning, that had the funds to buy everything, then I found out he was just dreaming, so I wasted a few months on thinking I had this all taken care of, only to then hear he was losing his house ( no one is going to loan someone money if they cant pay there rent) So I called him out on it and he made some sort of weird excuse of why he couldn't get the cash, when I already knew.

I usually find something I want then tell the seller i will pay his asking price if he can deliver what he is selling. Everything I ever bought was brought to me. Sometimes they bring junk to which I say" no, this is not what you said, you have to leave now." Most cases it works out, there ain't to many people who are going make the drive on whim.

I am just saying how I buy, there is no real help to you now but maybe you should be more agressive, like say" listen, I can't mess around, before you come test drive my machine I need to know how serious you are and I pretty much want what I am asking for it" You don't have to be a prick about it ( which I don't think you could be anyway unless you were pushed into it), you don't want to scare anybody, but you can't be setting yourself up to let every dreamer test drive your equipment til you run out of gas and there is no point in you doing the dreaming yourself everytime someone comes down to check it out. You are not an equipment salesman so stop acting like one. Everytime I ever sold anything I told them what was up and asked " are you sure you want this?" I know it sounds " weird" but Lord help me its worth thousands not to be drug through the rigamaroll.

Of course this only works if you are on the up and up and not trying to pull the wool over somebody and trust me, when you look someone in the eye and tell them they have to leave now, well, they leave.

And ArborPro: sure its worth 20k but market price ain't gonna see it that way. Good luck to you and your foreman. Its sounds like he is buying your business from you so maybe you two will see eye to eye. Count your blessings.

Well AP, this has been a jacked up experience, getting rid of this stuff! All kinds of jokers.

Had a guy that looked at the package deal in the beginning call me yesterday, said he finally got approved. I told him everything was gone, he flipped out on me! I started laughing and that made him go off. I talked to him when I first listed everything, he came down and never heard from him again, what a dumbaas. Told him I still had the chipper, he asked how much, I told him 7 (bottom dollar), he offered 5. WTF! I said "Sure Ill meet u next sat" I leave on wed.

These guys kill me, nothing but hot air, they talk big, but ya know that don't have no coin, cant get a loan cause they have bad credit.I realize the banks are a bit tougher these days, but if you have your **** together, it should be no problem. I just bought a bad aas ride for my wife and I have no money coming in, at the moment anyways.

Then I get people who want to know how much I sold stuff for, WHY? Jeff seen one of them. What is the point to that, other than being nosy.

So good luck AP! Prepare to deal with dreamers, nosy local wannabees and poo talk.

Well, maybe not, forgot your sellling to your guy, you will have a different experience. Hopefully it will go much better!

Then I get people who want to know how much I sold stuff for, WHY? Jeff seen one of them. What is the point to that, other than being nosy.

I'll admit, I've asked that question when I missed out on something. I try to ask politely though, and in a way that the guy can decline easily if he doesn't really want to say.

Part of it is being nosy I guess.... but part of it is knowing your market too. I'd been looking at trucks for about 6 months before I bought my last one. I didn't go for test drives, or go out to peoples places annoying them. I was just 'looking' at ebay, classifieds, magazines, went to a few auctions. It takes time to know about a piece of equipment.... like what's the best year model/engine combo, what variants and features are available, common faults, servicing and repair costs, parts availability etc etc. All that stuff isn't knowledge that's available easily. And those 'details' really change what an item is worth by quite a lot. I need to get all that data together before I jump, so I get what I want. I'm generally willing to pay extra for what I want though. But if I get it at a bargain, even better. I find a lot of sellers over value second hand equipment.

You never know how soft the market can be a lot of the time. After 6 months of looking, I knew the exact year and model of truck I was looking for. I knew what options I wanted, and roughly what sort of mileage. Prices guys were asking were all over the place, and I knew from watching that many of them had been for sale for months before finally selling, which told me it was a bit of a buyers market at that time. I saw list prices on the same trucks go down over months on ebay, because guys couldn't sell. I also knew from talking to a couple of sellers that they sold for a lot less than what they were expecting. If I hadn't been watching the market, I'd have had no idea why some were dearer than others and may have assumed that the dearer ones were better. The opposite was often true, it's just that the cheaper ones had dropped their price over time, and the newly listed items were often way overpriced.

When the truck came up that I wanted, I went down to see the guy, looked it over and made him an offer which was quite a bit less than what he wanted. I had cash on me and was willing to buy that day. He didn't want to budge on the price. I was in no hurry, I knew he wouldn't be selling any time soon (he didn't know that though!) and there are always other trucks around. I told him politely, that he'd be wasting a lot of his time with guys who weren't ready to buy and that I'd give him a call in a couple months.

A couple months later, after he'd dropped his original asking price from $24,000 down to about $18,000 I went to see him again. I picked the truck up for $15,000 plus sales tax (10%). I think I could have probably got it for less, but I'm happy with the price I paid. I won't be losing money on it when I sell.

Shaun

I'll admit, I've asked that question when I missed out on something. I try to ask politely though, and in a way that the guy can decline easily if he doesn't really want to say.

Part of it is being nosy I guess.... but part of it is knowing your market too. I'd been looking at trucks for about 6 months before I bought my last one. I didn't go for test drives, or go out to peoples places annoying them. I was just 'looking' at ebay, classifieds, magazines, went to a few auctions. It takes time to know about a piece of equipment.... like what's the best year model/engine combo, what variants and features are available, common faults, servicing and repair costs, parts availability etc etc. All that stuff isn't knowledge that's available easily. And those 'details' really change what an item is worth by quite a lot. I need to get all that data together before I jump, so I get what I want. I'm generally willing to pay extra for what I want though. But if I get it at a bargain, even better. I find a lot of sellers over value second hand equipment.

You never know how soft the market can be a lot of the time. After 6 months of looking, I knew the exact year and model of truck I was looking for. I knew what options I wanted, and roughly what sort of mileage. Prices guys were asking were all over the place, and I knew from watching that many of them had been for sale for months before finally selling, which told me it was a bit of a buyers market at that time. I saw list prices on the same trucks go down over months on ebay, because guys couldn't sell. I also knew from talking to a couple of sellers that they sold for a lot less than what they were expecting. If I hadn't been watching the market, I'd have had no idea why some were dearer than others and may have assumed that the dearer ones were better. The opposite was often true, it's just that the cheaper ones had dropped their price over time, and the newly listed items were often way overpriced.

When the truck came up that I wanted, I went down to see the guy, looked it over and made him an offer which was quite a bit less than what he wanted. I had cash on me and was willing to buy that day. He didn't want to budge on the price. I was in no hurry, I knew he wouldn't be selling any time soon (he didn't know that though!) and there are always other trucks around. I told him politely, that he'd be wasting a lot of his time with guys who weren't ready to buy and that I'd give him a call in a couple months.

A couple months later, after he'd dropped his original asking price from $24,000 down to about $18,000 I went to see him again. I picked the truck up for $15,000 plus sales tax (10%). I think I could have probably got it for less, but I'm happy with the price I paid. I won't be losing money on it when I sell.

Shaun

What kind if truck.

Word! I understand it when it is a perspective buyer, I ask too, gotta know the market like ya said.
I was getting asked by local people that had no intent on buying, just wanted to know my business! It was weird, like they where trying to see how much money I had? I dunno, it was weird.

What kind if truck.

99 Isuzu NPR400 short wheelbase with the 4.6l diesel and a good tipping bin. Not sure if you guys have trucks like that in the states. What you guys call trucks, we call utes or pickups. We don't have big ones though, like the big size F trucks etc that you get over there. Biggest size that utes come in here is similar to an F150. Beyond that we have 'trucks' which are nothing like utes. As with most things, we pay more than you guys do. $20k really doesn't buy you much in a truck here. A new truck like mine runs about $50k, plus another $30k for a bin, hydraulics and toolboxes.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back