Servicing Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Walker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was at a chainsaw dealer today picking up a new chain. I noticed a new sign on the wall behind the counter that said; Any repair to a item bought somewhere else will have a minium charge of $50 dollars. I do not agree with this, but did not say anything. I got home and looked at the recipts of the last two repairs that he did for me, both were gas line replacements. The first saw I bought from him. The bill was $32 dollars with a new filter too. The second saw was bought somewhere else and the bill was $54 dollars and no filter.
I am not happy with this!
On the outside of his building there is a metal sign that says he is a servicing dealer, so why two different price rates for the same product.
I done think this is fair.

Pending on a brand I think this is fair if you buy a saw at the big box stores or a different competitor, this dealer didn't get any profit from the sale of the unit so in that respect i think its fair. Plus if its been purchased and serviced some where else the dealer doesn't know who has worked on it before and sometimes it is more work to fix someone elses mistakes than to service it from the begining.

Also depending on when the repairs were done. Could be a difference in labor charges.
If it were me i would ask the reasoning for that and if something you don't agree with take it some where else.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
i just told my dude i moved from somewheres else (not a lie!!!). what, am i supposed to ship it there for service??

but i guess i sorta understand.....

He wouldn't get my business if stuck to that crap. Servicing is where they make their money anyway. Not too much margin on new stuff out the door. It's the parts and labor where they make their money. If he wants to charge a fee, probably has the right to do so, but it's my right to tell him no thanks and he probably wouldn't get my new business doing business that way either.

There are a lot of reasons he might have that + $50 charge.

His service dept might be back logged and wants to service HIS customers first and finds this an easy way to get people to go somewhere else.

He might be pizzed at the saw mfg for having a box store in HIS area.

He might be tired of dealing with clueless box store buyers.

A shop that's so worried about that doesn't have enuff business.

.....as evidenced by them remembering EVERYONE they sold a saw to.

i don't seem to remember the car dealership caring when I took it in for an
OIL CHANGE.................LOL.:dizzy:

There are a lot of reasons he might have that + $50 charge.

He might be pizzed at the saw mfg for having a box store in HIS area.

He might be tired of dealing with clueless box store buyers.

Don't know why. Would seem that would give him more business opportunities. And way more servicing money for the clueless folks. Mo Money, and he wants to charge a fee? Maybe that's why they didn't buy from him and went to the box store. Hmmm.

I know a kawasaki motorcycle-ATV dealer that will not work on a unit not
purchased from him unless you are touring and have a problem.
He is not hurting for $ or business.

Last time I was in a box store the box carried the lower end units.
Not much profit on the sale.

Another good reason to fix your own stuff...I would spit my skoal in the face of a dealer trying to charge me a surcharge like that, but then again, I fix and service and build my stuff. Except the pristine toys I buy ready to run, and them will be fixed by me when needed.

we don't charge that fee but it would be nice sometimes.Guys buy a saw at the hardware store and bring it to us to fix,gets old real fast.

This has become the policy at many shops, and if they're busy, that's fine. It seems that some shops might have to take whatever work they can get, though.
Loyal customers should be treated well, and made to understand that they're appreciated.
I think that you should take care of everybody, however, if they are using your brand, especially. They may purchase from you later. Even if they do not, and they just take advantage of your good service department, they are still customers. Maybe they don't get the discounts that others, who are more loyal, do?

we don't charge that fee but it would be nice sometimes.Guys buy a saw at the hardware store and bring it to us to fix,gets old real fast.

so...........you are in the business of selling.....and fixing is just a perk
to your buyers??

I guess I've got to bragg on our dealer a little.
They used to sell a lot of different brands of saw's but now their only Stihl.
They are a Briggs dealer. I got a deal, online on a 35hp briggs motor, then after a short time I had a little problem. I took it to them, and they looked first to see if it would be a warranty repair. It wasn't, I screwed it up.:)
They repaired it for a reasonable price, knowing that I bought it online.

Andy

so...........you are in the business of selling.....and fixing is just a perk
to your buyers??

Box stores only sell stuff, hardware stores only stuff if a Dealer wants to primarily sell stuff and only look after the products they sold it's their business and can do want they want with it. A lot of dealers now only work on the brands they sell because most companies pay poorly for warranty service so there is very little reason for them to work on the box store stuff.

I can see prioritizing equipment repairs for those that purchased their stuff there, but to punish someone financially-$50 bucks- is unreasonable. What a way to loose potential customers. Charge the going rate for the service and thats it. If I was charged a $50 surcharge just because I did not purchase that particular piece of equipment there, I would never step inside that store again.

I can see prioritizing equipment repairs for those that purchased their stuff there, but to punish someone financially-$50 bucks- is unreasonable. What a way to loose potential customers. Charge the going rate for the service and thats it. If I was charged a $50 surcharge just because I did not purchase that particular piece of equipment there, I would never step inside that store again.

Excellent Post!!!!:clap:

Another good reason to fix your own stuff...I would spit my skoal in the face of a dealer trying to charge me a surcharge like that, but then again, I fix and service and build my stuff. Except the pristine toys I buy ready to run, and them will be fixed by me when needed.

Here here!!:clap: :cheers:

Kyle

I agree that $50 sounds a little high, then again I do agree with not servicing box store customers.

Who knows he might be near a box-store and they keep sending him customers. and to top it off he is the only one around. Free country and he charges them Might even make a customer think about buying it there instead of the box-store, and actually might be a great marketing tool. Small business made this country, and I am happy that he must be doing well enough to impose such.

My dealer is great and has a similar sign posted. "If you purchased from Home Depot, please return it their for repair", and I applaud him for such. The extra time he spends dealing with box store customers has to be worth something???? I moved to a new location, and with a lot of Stihl equipment, yet he was happy to service me, and I have purchased from him since.

I would bet the $50 is not written in stone and would be for the pain in the ass box-store purchaser and used at discretion???? Although that does not explain the OP's charge.

Latest posts

Back