Setting up a programmable thermostat for an OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC4AB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has run across this before - I purchased a Honeywell TH8321 programmable thermostat to replace my exisitng thermostat. In the setup you must select "cycles per hour", the suggested ones are:

5 Gas or oil furnaces of less than 90% efficiency
1 Steam or gravity systems
3 Hot water systems & furnaces of 90%+ efficiency
9 Electric furnaces

The thermostat is set up to turn on the circulating pump on a call for heat.

Does "3" sound right?

Hi Andy, If I remember correctly you picked up a used Hardy H2? Although I am not versed with thermostats, 3 does sound right. Are you dedicating a thermo for your OWB? That is what I did, and my pump runs when house calls for heat, I set my other thermo (propane) to 65 for a backup, it never kicked on last year.

I've got the Hardy hooked up and a fire in it right now. The water heater and heat pump haven't come on in a week.:hmm3grin2orange:

The thermostat I purchased has 3 stages of heat control, so I only have to have one thermostat.

Stage 1 = Wood Stove
Stage 2 = Heat Pump
Stage 3 = Propane Furnace

The Cycles Per Hour apparently determines the dead band of the thermostat, I am playing around with it to see what it takes to make the wife happy.

The biggest difference is that now we actually have hot air coming from the registers instead of the luke warm air from the heat pump.

I've got the Hardy hooked up and a fire in it right now. The water heater and heat pump haven't come on in a week.:hmm3grin2orange:

The thermostat I purchased has 3 stages of heat control, so I only have to have one thermostat.

Stage 1 = Wood Stove
Stage 2 = Heat Pump
Stage 3 = Propane Furnace

The Cycles Per Hour apparently determines the dead band of the thermostat, I am playing around with it to see what it takes to make the wife happy.

The biggest difference is that now we actually have hot air coming from the registers instead of the luke warm air from the heat pump.

could you post brand and model #....

It's a Honeywell TH8320. It works very well, I think the problem is the wife just isn't used to hot air coming from the registers.

Andy,

If I remember correctly, you can't get much temp difference between the stages, like 1 - 3 degrees. For that reason I installed a second thermostat just for my wood heat (Hardy), then a friend put a relay in my propane furnance, so when it calls for heat, it turns on the pump. Seems to work very good. But you might check those stage differences, might not be enough difference between the stages.

Latest posts

Back