Seven Months Later

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new Fiskars X27 has hung unused the shop since the ninth of January, but it finally got some use yesterday… I haven’t swung it once yet, there’s a short story attached.

We had a little get together around the fire pit Friday night. The conversation eventually turned to what’s on everybody’s mind… the lack of moisture. That topic prompted one of my buddies to mention that he lost a maple tree in the storm a few days ago and he’d been cleaning it up the last couple days. He’s one of those guys that wouldn’t ask for help, or wouldn’t ask to borrow something on a bet… but he’s also one of those guys I'd loan anything to ‘cause I know it would come back better then it left. So anyway, his wife jumps in sayin’ he’d been beating himself half to death trying to get the stuff split. (At this point he gives her the “shut-up now” glare.) She continues, “I told him to ask if he could borrow your splitter, but you know how he is, right?”

(They don’t heat with wood, but he cuts a little for their fire ring, camping and such… and splits it with a felling ax... hates a heavy maul.) Heck yes I know how he is, so I tell him we should go load my splitter in his truck now, before we drink anymore beer. Well he flat refuses, saying it’s just a few of the bigger and/or gnarly pieces left, and he’ll keep whackin’ away at ‘em. So I bring out the X27 and hand it to him, “Here, give this a try, it’s supposed to be the tits for splittin’ firewood.” He looks it over and refuses, saying it's band new and he don’t want to scratch it up, or worse, break the handle ‘cause it can’t be replaced. I explain the lifetime warranty and (after several minutes) coax him into taking it for a test drive for me.

He shows up the next day ‘round noon… apologizing ‘cause there’s a couple scuff marks on the handle… tells me he’ll get me a new one. “C’mon man, they get scuff marks when ya’ use em… ain’t no way around that. Then he says he’s gonna’ buy one anyway so I should get the new one… ‘cause mine was new when he borrowed it. Tells me it went through that maple like a hot knife through butter; he ain’t never used anything like it, beats the heck out’a swinging an ax or maul, and wants to know where to get one. I grabbed the ax out’s his hand and hung it in the shop, then told him where to get his new one.

So anyway, I still can’t give you my opinion of the Fiskars, based on any personal experience… But Chris is one of those guys who’s word you can bet your life on.

Last edited:
Yeppers!

Just split some hard maple and oak right next to my two hydro ones, I think they're jealous!!

The Fiskars splitter is a real nice tool and a mainstay in my collection. All you need to do to appreciate its design is take a few swings with the 15 lb. maul and your back, arms, and legs will be thanking you. It's great for the straight grained stuff, but as for the real gnarly green chunks..... Don't get rid of the hydraulic splitter just yet..

Well, I'm sure I'll eventually get to swing the one I gave my Dad. In the mean time, I'm heading up to split some oak with my wooden handled axes! After I assess any damage from last nights storms, that is.

The weather here would be just like it is there, except that every now and then we get totally pounded by incredible downpours. It never just rains, it's always one of those take-cover storms. My neighbor and I are fixing the water diversions in the lane almost constantly, and yet the ground water level is still low and I have to watch the spring that feeds water to the barn. The lightning was intense lat night, and hitting damn close. Naturally the power goes out with almost every storm.

IF I was to have a brand new one again, I would do something different. Namely pick up a can of spray on teflon and spray it down before it ever hit wood. Then keep it clean and always respray before and during a splitting session. The fiskars are amazing axes, but they lose some awesomeness after the factory coating is worn off. That clean surace coated with teflon is a large percentage of why they work so well.

I've split about 15 cords with mine now. Teflon is worn a bit, and the edge is way duller than new. I like it more this way, seems like it's easier to control thru the split, also can have a more consistent swing speed. I found when it was new, it fly thru some of the round, then take a little of the swing and it didn't make it thru.

I also sent you a rep Spidey, Those Fiskars are deffinetly nice! They are worth the $50 bucks around here. Your a good friend WhiteSpider :)

The next million dollar idea...re-coating all the "worn out" x27's! The EPA would probably fight you all the way to the Supreme Court but i expect a small royalty check from anyone that pulls it off!

Spidey...I'd send you MVP friend rep but I gotta spread some around first.

The next million dollar idea...re-coating all the "worn out" x27's! The EPA would probably fight you all the way to the Supreme Court but i expect a small royalty check from anyone that pulls it off!

EPA would push it as it would mean less gas splitters running!

I emailed fiskars and asked them about that, they won't do it. So I think just a cheap rattle can o spray would be the best. I tried graphite, but it doesn't last long. Works great while it is on there though.

The Fiskars splitter is a real nice tool and a mainstay in my collection. All you need to do to appreciate its design is take a few swings with the 15 lb. maul and your back, arms, and legs will be thanking you. It's great for the straight grained stuff, but as for the real gnarly green chunks..... Don't get rid of the hydraulic splitter just yet..

Exactly. It is just like any other tool. It will do somethings very well, others mediocre and it will NOT do EVERYTHING. Hold onto your wedges, sledge, maul and splitter if you have one.

Harry K

I emailed fiskars and asked them about that, they won't do it. So I think just a cheap rattle can o spray would be the best. I tried graphite, but it doesn't last long. Works great while it is on there though.

Maybe so spray-on or paint-on bed liner ??

Back