Shaft Drive Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
I don't see a reason for something to be driven by v-belt when it can be serpentine. Or why a chain when it could be shaft driven or hydraulic? Sorry about the fragmentation here, just going stream of consciousness while the gettin's good. Been takin' out some monster Oak in this 90 deg weather--

Take a skidsteer for example. You got a killer hydraulic setup with a main central pump. The final drive to the wheels, however is chain. Running Genie lifts as an industrial electrician, I was impressed by the way the power was delivered to each of the four wheels via individual hydraulic motor. I'm yearning for the day skid steers are driven this way or by gear drive. If I'm missing something here, please plug it in. I'm referring to wheel skids. Compact track loaders have their place but are screwed in gravel.

Now with conventional log splitter builds the pump is driven by v-belt and this is a weak point. I don't think all that springy rigging to let the belt slip to start the engine in cold weather seems necessary. I understand the power fluid is viscous when it's cold enough to split wood. Makes it hard to turn over with the added resistance.

What are the limiting factors in making a log splitter shaft or gear driven? How do you get around it and get it done? I want my conventional hyd cylinder with a four-way head attached to the beam. I just don't want no damn belt.

I'm not gonna Google this no more. I'm asking y'uns.

no belts on my splitter, it's a lovejoy coupler from engine to pump. direct drive and no old start issues.
the hydraulic drive to all four wheel is used on some of the equipment i've worked with when i was younger, ie, the "detasseling machines' used by a big seed corn company.

no belts on my splitter, it's a lovejoy coupler from engine to pump. direct drive and no old start issues.
the hydraulic drive to all four wheel is used on some of the equipment i've worked with when i was younger, ie, the "detasseling machines' used by a big seed corn company.

Thanks, Greendohn. Did you make it?

Stuff shouldn't be made cheap if better technology is available. I thought there was a reason based on rpm that the pump required it to be done with belts. I can't see a reason.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." Ralph Waldo Emerson

a sliding driveshaft and two U joints plus whatever they connect to, versus two stamped pulleys and a kevlar belt...hmmm...right there is a cost issue.

If you're "trolling", you got me... If not, where are these belt-driven splitters?? Every one I've ever seen, whether from a manufacturer or homemade was directly driven via Lovejoy.

Thanks, Greendohn. Did you make it?

Stuff shouldn't be made cheap if better technology is available. I thought there was a reason based on rpm that the pump required it to be done with belts. I can't see a reason.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." Ralph Waldo Emerson

No I didn't build it, it was built by a small shop down south of me back in the 80's, which is now defunk. It's a shame too, as it's a very well built unit. 1/4" plate thru-out with tables on either side of the "I" beam and a solid tongue. 'Aint any thin walled tubing any where to be found on it. My cousin, who is an accomplished fabricator, used the love joy coupler on the splitter he built this past winter. One of these days(i always think of the Niel Young tune when i type that)One of these days I'll take an interest in posting pictures.

Two stage splitter pumps are not even designed to be belt driven. They cannot handle the side stress load. The only ones I have ever seen that use a belt is some cunfuddled monstrosity built out of parts from the recycled pile. (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Belt drive log splitter????? I've seen and used a hundred of em and never once seen a hydraulic belt driven pump...

By the way. The few skid steers I've worked on have just one drive unit per side with final chains going to the front and back. Cheaper to manufacture and maintain and quite frankly better all around. No timing issues and what not.
The more I think about it I think that 1 hydraulic drive unit per wheel would be a nightmare to keep in time after the machine had some age to it. Maybe some are made this way but I've only worked on a few so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Back