Sharpening bands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys check this out

http://www.precisionsharpeners.com/

Would like some feed back on this Please.
Has anyone here got one? or one like it!
If so is it working OK for you!
Why I ask!
This machine does not do the back side of the tooth !
The question I raise IS IT nessary to grind the back side of the tooth if you are maintaining the edge and set correctly as the saw dulls!Is It nessary to grind the gullet
The guy that does my blades now swears it needs to be done but Im questioning it!At 15 bucksa pop Im really thinking heavy on this little beasty the price is attractive and he has have very favorable comments from ebay buyers.

Comments welcomed

Thanx
Fred

i

Hey Fred, just my opinion - I have an Efco chain sharpener, kind of basiclly what this is, I tried it for band blades every way I could imagine, and I just couldn't get that razor edge sharpness you get with the real automatic band sharpener. I finally bought Cooks "catclaw" sharpener, [setter too] and have never regretted it. I feel you need to grind the whole profile, down the face, across the gullet, and up across the tip of the tooth. Anything less is a trade off, you're spending less $$$$$ but getting less sharpener & quality. Cooks sharpener weighs 150 lbs - This ones 36.

You need to grind the gullet to remove any stress cracks or you will end up breaking blades. When you grind the gullet you have to also grind the back of the tooth to keep its height in proportion with the blade. I have a woodmizer sharpener and use it all the time. I have different cams for it so I can change the hook angle. I also have the setter that came with the sharpener but it is a pain to use it. The setter on the sight you listed works on the same order as woodmizers and you can only set one side at a time then you have to turn the band inside out to set the other side. I use one on the order of the one Suffox machine sells and can do a band in a couple of mins. it sets both teeth at the same time. I built mine setter.

I think if you will go back and read the web site again, you will find that the guy does say it does the back side and gullet by changing the disk. He also says, if the blade needs it. The big point here is, at "$15 a pop", if you get 5 or 6 sharping before the band breaks, who would really gave a damn? The only ones I can think of is UPS and the company doing the sharping.

Rodney

I don't reset my bands when I resharpen them and I can sharpen them 4 times or more before I need to set them. If you are sending them out to be resharpened chance are most places don't reset them when they sharpen them, I know Woodmizer does. I sharpen all my own bands and I usually saw around 300,000 board foot of lumber a year.

Bear in mind as well at 15 bucks a pop I can get a new blade for 3 sharpes so maybe chailies machine is the way to go here for the amount of sawing I do it may be worth it going the cheap route (I do it as a hobby and sell the wood on the side or trade for stuff!) Duno :dizzy:

Ok this is what Charlie has Mailed me back !
And I am still unclear on the grinding wheel that touches up the gullet of the blade.

Hi Fred,

I have been in the sawmilling business since 1962 and I can tell you Tim Cook is correct about grinding just the face, You can shape your grinding wheel to the contour of the gullet before you start sharpening if you like, But when you are sharpening the teeth you sharpen down to the gullet your grinding wheel will shape it's self. My Sharpeners comes with a shaping stone it's mostly used to touch up the back side of the top part of the teeth like I said if you hit some metal or let it go till the teeth get rounded at the tip and you want to get the blade back in new condition.
You do not have to set the teeth each time you Sharpen, Just when they need it.
Cracks in the gullet is caused from stress and grinding them will not stop the cracking!!!! That blade history it's just a mater of time till it breaks,
Stress can be caused any where from the blade not running true, bearings, saw guides, to using too small of a blade wheel just a few.
If you Sharpen and maintain your own blades you can save a lot of money over time.
There was a lot more I would have liked to added to the video but the tape wasn't long enough, After you watch the video and have any questions feel free to contact me.

Best Regards
Charlie
Precision Saw Sharpeners

Keep the comments coming I'm truly interested in what folks experiances are!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back