Sharpening Square Chisel With 3-Corner File

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try and steepen my angles a little bit. The only problem is that my file may start digging into the tie straps more.

If you're hitting the tie straps that's pretty much where you want to be.

Here's the video I posted in the other thread of square filing with a double bevel file.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZMuqKxwc60?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZMuqKxwc60?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ok, I wasn't for sure that's what it was in. Does it work well in one?

Kind of a weird one to answer. Short form: yes, very well. Long form: if I didn't already know how to do it by hand, I'd never have got the thing to work. The angles are really hard to set up and hold, each cutter is slightly different, and -- get this -- you have to flip either the saw or the jig to get the right-hand cutters because there's an adjustment knob in the way. Once you get over all of those obstacles, though, it works pretty good... until you want to do another chain. Probably better to just learn to do it by hand, in the long run.

I will try and steepen my angles a little bit. The only problem is that my file may start digging into the tie straps more.

DSC02995.jpg

That looks pretty d@mn good. You have the corners lined up real nice. I wouldn’t change a thing yet, I’d find some wood and video a few cuts with it just the way it is. Then go ahead and make a change if you want. That way you can compare what was and what is.

I hear what yer sayin, but the angle you're at is hitting the drive link.Not bad tho. Don't worry 2 much about hitting the tie strap, the stock angle will hit when filing with a double bevel, which is what I use.I suspect the 6 corner will get into it some 2.

DSC02995.jpg

That looks pretty d@mn good. You have the corners lined up real nice. I wouldn’t change a thing yet, I’d find some wood and video a few cuts with it just the way it is. Then go ahead and make a change if you want. That way you can compare what was and what is.
Yep:clap:

Ok. I'll leave them the same for now. I did find out that sharpening the left cutters is a whole lot more difficult for me than the right. After a little more practice, I think that I'm gonna give my .404 chain on my 36" bar for my 125 a shot.

Ok. I'll leave them the same for now. I did find out that sharpening the left cutters is a whole lot more difficult for me than the right. After a little more practice, I think that I'm gonna give my .404 chain on my 36" bar for my 125 a shot.
I'm the same way with the left cutters.I know what works for one person may not work for the next, but the lefts are easier for me from the front and the rights from the side.

I'm the same way with the left cutters.I know what works for one person may not work for the next, but the lefts are easier for me from the front and the rights from the side.

That's what I have come to understand, but I still need more practice. I will try to make a video this weekend.

Any progress on the filing? I bought a goofy file and a 6 sided file on friday and commenced learning on a rocked out full comp 32''. It went well, about 2 hours of work and a worn out file. I like the goofy file a lot more than the 6 sided one. I imagine that a new square chain will be easy to maintain with a new file. I cut some dead doug fir and was impressed.

The little triangle 6 sided files are harder to use. The double bevel work pretty good. A new chain is hard on files. The way a grinder sharpens and a file makes the first sharpening hard. After that its not so bad. If you go real extreme on the gullet it is easier to file and will make longer chips.

The goofy file seems to cut a larger side plate and seems easier to get good angles without fighting the gullet. . I used a round file to clean out some of the gullets, but on a lot of teeth I did not.

I take the gullets out past the side plate where the point on the corner isn't digging into it at all. I found that doing that on a new chain makes a big difference in how easy it is to sharpen the first time. With a grinder I had as wide of a side plate as I could get without cutting into the tie straps too much.

I am also learning how to square file. i have both, the double bevel and the six sided file. I'm not sure which i like best yet. I'm not ready to post pics yet though.:msp_unsure: It does cut much better than before. I can honestly see my self using my round files for gullet cleaning only from now on. Thanks for the video mdavlee. Has any one tried filing the other direction? With the handle down, filing up?

Back