Shaver overflow valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just filled my shaver 165 for the first time and the overflow drain is just not stopping. I think I have a faulty valve from the factory, but thought I would ask you guys how long it takes for the water to stop flowing out the overflow after you shut the fill valve off.

It's been flowing now for about 20 minutes.

thanks

drain/pressure relief?

I just filled my shaver 165 for the first time and the overflow drain is just not stopping. I think I have a faulty valve from the factory, but thought I would ask you guys how long it takes for the water to stop flowing out the overflow after you shut the fill valve off.

It's been flowing now for about 20 minutes.

thanks

First are you on well water or city water? If you are on municipal water- is the water filling line before the pressure regulator or after it?

Are you sure the fill valve is off-what I mean is, is a ball valve used to shut it off? or a globe valve? If the globe valve has a little bit of dirt on the seat it will not shut off.

Is a pop off valve pressure relief with a lift handle installed like a sillcock? If it is-a pop off valve it will have a long handle coming down the side of it with a tag surrounding the center of the plunger which is a spring pop off valve set to pop off at 30 psi if my memory serves.

You may need to lift and release it a few times to get it to rest properly if there is dirt in the water which is common with new installs of any plumbing- also a Y strainer may be in order for your filler line coming from the house.

Install the Y strainer with a shut off valve on both sides in the warm area of the house/basement to prevent freezing.

The overflow tube is vented to atmosphere so it will vent naturally if over full.

leon :chainsaw: :jawdrop: :givebeer: :dizzy: :popcorn: :cry:

Last edited:
First are you on well water or city water? If you are on municipal water- is the water filling line before the pressure regulator or after it?

I am on well water. the hook up is through the hot water heater and is therefore softened water.

Are you sure the fill valve is off-what I mean is, is a ball valve used to shut it off? or a globe valve? If the globe valve has a little bit of dirt on the seat it will not shut off.

I checked the valve and I believe the ball wasn't shutting...I have adjusted it and it still takes awhile to stop draining, but I believe that is the pressure left as you said.

Thanks for the quick response. This is my first experience with all this and I appreciate all the help everyone offers on this site. I would have made several mistakes if it weren't for spending hours reading through all the info on this site.

Thanks again.

water

I am on well water. the hook up is through the hot water heater and is therefore softened water.

I checked the valve and I believe the ball wasn't shutting...I have adjusted it and it still takes awhile to stop draining, but I believe that is the pressure left as you said.

Thanks for the quick response. This is my first experience with all this and I appreciate all the help everyone offers on this site. I would have made several mistakes if it weren't for spending hours reading through all the info on this site.

Thanks again.

Your description of the installation of the water filler line from the water heater brings problems as your dilema brings up the most likely occurance of the sediment in the water heater being pumped into the boiler system and
the dirt sticking in the valve.

The aerators in your faucets are probably plugged with sediment as well.

leon :chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back