Shindaiwa 488 owners: which filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've gathered that the stock filter leaves something to be desired. I am, however, confused about the options.

There is a snorkel conversion kit, a flocked filter (which needs some kind of elbow), and the "Pro" filter kit (which I gather is like the one on my 757.)

What are the differences, and which should I buy?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I've gathered that the stock filter leaves something to be desired. I am, however, confused about the options.

There is a snorkel conversion kit, a flocked filter (which needs some kind of elbow), and the "Pro" filter kit (which I gather is like the one on my 757.)

What are the differences, and which should I buy?

-=[ Grant ]=-

Get the Power Pro filter kit. This is the same kit, just a smaller version, that is on the 757.

I'm with Four Paws on that one. I ordered a flocked filter for my 488, but after seeing how small it was, I never installed it. Since you have a 757 and you are already used to that style of filter, yes definitely, go with the Pro filter.

I too ordered a flocked filter. Contrary to published information, it's not a direct replacement and the needed elbow seems to be non-existent. I'll probably return it for the Pro filter kit.

Yeah, I didn't look at the IPL carefully enough either because it does state that an elbow is needed to use a flocked filter and so I didn't order one, but after seeing how small it was, I'm glad i didn't waste the money on the elbow too. One thing is nice about the Pro filter, you don't have to worry about keeping your filter spotless because it looks as if it is enough filter for a
100cc saw!

The Pro filter kit for the 488 has been permanently discontinued by Shindaiwa.

Last edited:
Four Paws, do you have a part number for the filter alone? For some stupid reason I can't find anything on it.

Four Paws, another favor, do you have a 488 with the Power Pro kit on it? If so, would it be difficult for you to see what kind of bolt #51 on the IPL is? Just a regular metric hex socket head, if so what size. I would be glad if you could:)

#51 Bolt

I think the #51 bolt is threaded on both ends and sticks up through the filter cover to allow the knob to be attached to it.

This filter set up is a bit cumbersome but you get used to it after awhile.
Besides that you can post a picture here and let the comments fly.

wow!!! that is unbelievably ugly....:dizzy: :cheers:

But very functional. Here is one of my ugly saws...

attachment.php

Last edited:
99909-488p pro filter kit for shindaiwa 488 chainsaw

I sure hope I read that wrong. Has the pro filter kit for the 488 been discontinued? I just bought one and the factory wire mesh screen bites, and I clean it out every 45 to 60 minutes. After awhile, I am sure dust will eventually get thru to the carburator. I have been meticulous with a field dressing before returning it into the case for the next outing. Please tell me that the pro filter kit is still available and where to purchase on. Factory brochure states 7 day satisfaction guarantee, and I have no problem taking it back. I would rather have the kit instead as this is a good machine and I want it to be possibly my last one. Any information would be appreciated.................Grump

I sure hope I read that wrong. Has the pro filter kit for the 488 been discontinued? I just bought one and the factory wire mesh screen bites, and I clean it out every 45 to 60 minutes. After awhile, I am sure dust will eventually get thru to the carburator. I have been meticulous with a field dressing before returning it into the case for the next outing. Please tell me that the pro filter kit is still available and where to purchase on. Factory brochure states 7 day satisfaction guarantee, and I have no problem taking it back. I would rather have the kit instead as this is a good machine and I want it to be possibly my last one. Any information would be appreciated.................Grump

We buy the necessary parts individually and sell them as a kit. You can buy it here:

http://www.edgeandengine.com/store/...roduct_info&cPath=3_255_179&products_id=18610

There's also a partially flocked standard filter available. (the wide, flat bottom surface of the filter is paper instead of mesh, it catches more dirt/dust). This will help if you're just worried about dust getting through. (And some fine dust on the inside of the filter is perfectly normal).

Latest posts

Back