shinny 377 cylinder scratch c clip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i took my dads shinny 377 apart today and found a c clip had come lose and embedded into piston wall and scratched 2 groves into the cylinder wall to the depth of bout half diameter .012" of the c clip .025".
freed the rings and cleaned the groves out.

piston groves are covered by the rings but that leaves the groves in the cylinder wall for compression escape.

all i need is a c clip to put it all back together. problem w/ that is i dont have one that small.

so question is recon it will run w/ the 2 groves in the cylinder walls? anyone ever tried this?

thanks & good day
greg

You can pick up a new set of wristpin circlips at your local Echo dealer. Whether the cylinder will hold up for a long time is doubtful. What will happen is the chrome liner will begin to peel from the rings riding across those grooves. It may hold up for a while but if you want it to be 100% reliable or using it for business, replace the top end.

377's are awesome saws for their size, I'd hate to see you try and run it like that and ruin the bottom end too. If the bottom end is good then that saw justifies a new P&C to freshen her up. I borought mine back from a lean seizure with muriatic acid and elbow grease, but there were no chips into the plating. General rule is that if you can feel it with your fingernail its too deep. Good luck.

Back